Before planning our trip, my wife and I tried desperately to get information on the overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier but didn't get great answers so I'm posting this as it may be helpful to others.
We wanted to take the overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier in order to get to Chefchaouen so we could cover the distance while sleeping and avoid paying for a hotel room. Trip notes:
- Each couchette is 370dh. It's tough to buy online on ONCF because you need a 'moroccan credit card'. We asked our guide to purchase tickets for us in advance (we purchased 4 for the two of us so we could have the whole compartment)
- The train departed at 8:45pm on time and arrived at Tangier at 7am on time. The train made about 6 stops in between
- There is one train car which is first class with 10 compartments. Each compartment has 4 couchettes, 2 bottom, 2 top. I'm about 6'1" and just about fit straight with my feet brushing the end. You get 1 pillow and 1 starched plain sheet so expect to sleep in hoodies and socks depending on weather (I went in october). There is not much room otherwise with a small luggage rack up top. There is no electric socket. There is a fan for ventilation.
- One quirk about the stops is they turn the electricity off so the fan stops while the train is waiting at the station. On one station, the wait was around 30 minutes while they changed the direction of the train.
- There are 2 bathrooms in the car on either side.
- They padlock the first class car while the train is in motion for security
- There is some cart service though I didn't purchase anything so not sure what they offer
Hope that helps set expectations about the journey. Overall, I enjoyed it and found it comfortable and dependable.