We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier: trip report

New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier: trip report

Before planning our trip, my wife and I tried desperately to get information on the overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier but didn't get great answers so I'm posting this as it may be helpful to others.

We wanted to take the overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier in order to get to Chefchaouen so we could cover the distance while sleeping and avoid paying for a hotel room. Trip notes:

- Each couchette is 370dh. It's tough to buy online on ONCF because you need a 'moroccan credit card'. We asked our guide to purchase tickets for us in advance (we purchased 4 for the two of us so we could have the whole compartment)

- The train departed at 8:45pm on time and arrived at Tangier at 7am on time. The train made about 6 stops in between

- There is one train car which is first class with 10 compartments. Each compartment has 4 couchettes, 2 bottom, 2 top. I'm about 6'1" and just about fit straight with my feet brushing the end. You get 1 pillow and 1 starched plain sheet so expect to sleep in hoodies and socks depending on weather (I went in october). There is not much room otherwise with a small luggage rack up top. There is no electric socket. There is a fan for ventilation.

- One quirk about the stops is they turn the electricity off so the fan stops while the train is waiting at the station. On one station, the wait was around 30 minutes while they changed the direction of the train.

- There are 2 bathrooms in the car on either side.

- They padlock the first class car while the train is in motion for security

- There is some cart service though I didn't purchase anything so not sure what they offer

Hope that helps set expectations about the journey. Overall, I enjoyed it and found it comfortable and dependable.

37 replies to this topic
3 posts
1 review
31. Re: Overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier: trip report

Thanks heaps! Will give it a go

Inglewood...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
32. Re: Overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier: trip report

Thank you! I was looking for something like this to the point!

New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
33. Re: Overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier: trip report

No problem! I posted this years ago but glad so many people are still finding it useful :)

1 post
34. Re: Overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier: trip report

Hi, is the train arrives at Marrakech at around 10 a.m?

Scotland
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
35. Re: Overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier: trip report

Some excellent information on this thread.

Anyone who has used the overnight train, can you advise if it is reliable time wise as we have to catch a ferry from Tanger to Spain.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
36. Re: Overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier: trip report

thanks, your replies have been really useful when booking our train journeys.

We used a company to purchase our train tickets and booked first class for outbound and overnight single for return.

Can anyone advise if the trains run on time as we have to book the ferry to return to Spain and wondered if we needed to be a bit liberal with our timeline

thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
37. Re: Overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier: trip report

I have the same question as Cameroni0. I am looking to do the night train from Marrakech to Tangier and then take a ferry over to Spain. Has anyone done this before? Any issues or tips?

Also, does the train have Wifi?

Reply to: Overnight train from Marrakech to Tangier: trip report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted