We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabat - Saftey in the Medina

new Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rabat - Saftey in the Medina

I have been told that it can be unsafe in the medina at night in Rabat? Is this true?

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rabat - Saftey in the Medina

The medina of Rabat is miniscule compared tp those of Fes and Marrakech so I foresee no problems regarding safety. It's not a "late night" city anyway and generally much quieter in my experience.

Canada
Level Contributor
338 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rabat - Saftey in the Medina

I have heard such warnings about many medinas in Morocco. The dangers that I have encountered in Rabat's medina have been packed crowds on weekend nights--I had one episode when it was like a slow-moving stampede. The sun was still out so it was not dark. A very tall man said that some youths were pushing people from behind and there was nowhere to go. At the same time, a motor bike entered the crowd from another direction. There were boys on bikes locked into the mass of people as well. Mothers were calling for their children, elderly people took shelter in stalls, and people hung on to their bags. One woman lost her sunglasses that she had tucked into her collar. The souk is often very crowded in the evenings so time your visit during the day.

I have rented accommodations in the residential area of the medina, and found it calm and peaceful. I have shopped in the medina at night, on other occasions, but had no incidents.

Be careful and cautious just as you would in any major city in the world. Rabat's medina is not the tourist-type of experience of Marrakesh--the wares are more geared for the local market. You can get very good deals there.

England, United...
Level Contributor
541 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rabat - Saftey in the Medina

I recommend visiting the medina/souk in Rabat between 10am-2pm when it is not so busy and thus quieter, allowing you to browse and buy at your leisure. From 4pm onwards it becomes very crowded with locals doing their shopping amongst the narrow alleys. I am currently in Rabat,where it is chucking down with rain since yesterday : ( Forecast for sun next week thank goodness!

4. Re: Rabat - Saftey in the Medina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:41
Get answers to your questions about Rabat