We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?

Hi all,

We are after CURRENT travel information please from tourists who have been in Tangier in the last 3 months.

I have been scouring for recent travel information onTangier, Morocco and the most recent information is several years old and is now out of date from a security perspective.

My partner and I are considering going to Tangier in Morocco in May as a finish to our Portugal and Spain trip. We were thinking of just going for a night to get a feel for Morocco, get our feet wet and see if we want to do a longer trip in the future.

1. Is it worth going to Tangier, cutting the Spain trip a few days short ? Or should we spend more days in Spain ?

2. If we were to go, is it better to go to Tangier Ville than Tangier Med ?

3. We have checked UK and Australian government security sites and there is a high security alert for the Tangier area with high risk of terrorist attacks. We are seasoned travellers, only travel with back packs, only wear sensible travel gear, no jewellery and we are not into markets or shopping and don’t want to buy anything (so being hassled at markets will probably be low). As a female, I plan on wearing on head scarf should I be required to do so to avoid being hassled. Can we please have some honest information about your recent travel experiences (max 3 months old) for this area.

Looking forward to a response.

88 replies to this topic
Mahdia, Tunisia
Level Contributor
397 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?

Hey,

Is it worth visiting it? Totally yes, there's a lot to see!

Talking about safety, i believe Tangier is safe as Spain or even better, they're both in the same alert, even Moroccan police has saved Spain from many terrorism attacks ^^

Casablanca, Morocco
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?

Don't wear a headscarf if you normally wouldn't back home. This is not the KSA. You'll only stick out, not "blend in".

Nowhere in the world is "safe", but Morocco is safer than most. The Moroccans solved part of the Bataclan attacks for the French!

Edited: 05 March 2017, 23:17
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?

I'm an American in Tangier right now. It's safe. Don't wear a headscarf unless you're Muslim. Nobody will do you any harm. Always look on both sides when crossing the street because drivers in Morocco rarely respect crosswalks. You should definitely visit. Taking the FRS fast ferry from Tarifa to Tangier Ville is better.

Edited: 05 March 2017, 23:32
Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?

I'd only take the advice from these travel sites if it tells you DO NOT TRAVEL.

Apart from that the whole world is on a high degree of caution ⚠ when you go through most cities in Europe, Africa, UK etc.

Everyone's advice here is correct about not wearing a head scarf and catching the ferry to tangier Ville.

Morocco is a Muslim county at the same time has massive European influence from its history.. in way of life, clothing, architecture, unlimited coffee shops 😁 etc..

North Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?

My husband and I took a day trip to Tangier from Seville on March 1. We hired a private tour guide, Aziz Saint Laurent, who is highly recommended on Trip Advisor. Aziz booked our return ferry rides and met us at the terminal. He arranged a driver then accompanied us on a full day tour and took us back to the terminal and walked us through the immigration line to ensure our return. We had a wonderful time and found Tangier to be very beautiful and interesting. We were very glad we made the effort to travel there during our 2 week trip to Spain. It is helpful to have a guide to keep the aggressive shopkeepers away and to hear about the history and culture from someone who lives there. We didn't feel uncomfortable or fearful at any time.

Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?

Lisa K - how did you travel from Seville? I just booked a rental car because it seemed like that is the only way we can do a day trip from Seville. We are planning to do that in May and I was thinking of hiring the private guide for the day in Tangier.

Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?

you cannot take a Spanish rental car to Morocco. If they allowed that, it would make it too easy to steal European cars and leave the EU

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the information. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Great tip about a guide , I'm trying to arrange one right now. Do you have Aziz contact details please ?

Thanks

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?

Thank you everyone for posting to my query.

I have always wanted to take the ferry across the Gibraltar and see a glimpse of Tangier and what you have all indicated is that it is not to be missed and that it will be a great experience.

So I have now booked the frs ferry and have booked a hotel in Tangier ville.

I'm now looking at a guide so we can see the highlights in our short visit.

I found TangierTour's and will try and contact Aziz as well. Any other suggestions ?

There seems to be buses from Algeciras to Tarifa , the M150. Any other travel options ?

Are the ferries most of the time running on time ? We arrive at 13:00 in Tangier and our tour starts shortly afterwards.

Do you know about buses from Tarifa to Malaga ?

Are the go buses reliable ? Our ferry arrives back into Tarifa at 10 am and then we have two buses to choose from to Malaga, one which leaves at 10:21 and the other an hour later. I'm assuming that all we need to do is to make our way from the port to Tarifa bus station (1.2 km)

Thanks

Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?

you can fly from Tangier to Malaga. The flight can actually be cheaper than the ferry sometimes. The airline is Air Arabia

Reply to: Tangier, is it worth going and is it safe in May 2017 ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted