We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Tangier then on to Chefchaouen and Rabat

Germany
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Tangier then on to Chefchaouen and Rabat

Hi,

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids ages 5, 8, & 10) planning a trip to Spain and Morocco next May (2018). We would like to take the ferry from Spain to Tangier, and then visit Chefchaouen for the day. That afternoon/evening, we'd like to continue on to Rabat to visit friends for a few days before returning to Spain. I would love some help with a few transportation questions :).

Do I understand correctly that the best route for us to take would be the Tarifa to Tangier ferry? Or should we take the ferry to Tangier Med since we plan to continue on to Chefchaouen? We do not plan on spending any time in Tangier when we arrive.

As I understand it, since we have 5 people including 3 kids, the best way for us to get from Tangier to Chefchaouen is via private grand taxi. Would you recommend prebooking this because of the kids or will we be fine to just hire one when we arrive?

We plan to visit Chefchaouen for the day (realistically, 4 or 5 hrs?) and then continue on to Rabat. There is no train on this route, correct? I did see a bus on the ONCF website, but it departs around noon, so that's not enough time for us. I see that Tangiertaxi.com will pre-book this route for the 5 of us for 249 Euros. That seems steep to me, but perhaps we have no choice?

Is there another way to get from Chefchaouen to Rabat, perhaps a taxi to train station and then continue to Rabat by train?

Also, would you recommend spending a few hours in Tangier before boarding the ferry back to Spain on the return trip? Or will our time in Chefchaouen and Rabat have given us enough of a taste? I know it's hard to say what our opinion will be since we've never been there, so just wondering what you would do in our place.

Many thanks in advance!

6 replies to this topic
North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Tangier then on to Chefchaouen and Rabat

The best way from Spain to Morocco is the fast hydrofoil ferry operating from Tarifa to Tangier city port, you can buy tickets for this journey either at the Tarifa ferry port or Algeciras ferry port, a free transfer coach leaves Algeciras from the coach park outside the main terminal building and connects with the ferry departure time,I travelled this way in May this year, it's desirable to catch the first ferry of the day at 0900 from Tarifa, which often departs late for a variety of reasons, but this will maximise your day for the onward journey to Chefchaouen. At Tangier city port take a Petit taxi to the main city bus station Gare Routiere, Place al Jamia al Arabia, you will need two taxis for this because they only seat three passengers, the fare is approximately 20 dirhams.

At the bus station enter by the front door and in the main hall turn left to find the offices of bus company Diana Voyages / Nejme Chamal, they operate six departures daily to Chefchaouen at 0545, 0800, 1030, 1300. 1330. and 1745, the journey takes three hours, adult fare around 50 dirhams, I don't know about the juvenile fares, there is also a luggage charge of 5 dirhams per item to be stored in the coach hold. There is also a Grand taxi rank beside the bus station, I don't know the fare but probably less than Tangiertaxi...

travellerspoint.com/photos/…

There is no guarantee of precisely when you can expect to arrive in Chefchaouen, so an overnight stopover is recommended, at least in May there is good daylight until 8 pm, so you will be able to explore the Medina and Kasbah in Uta Hammam square.

There is one CTM bus from Chefchaouen Gare Routiere at 0700 for Rabat arriving 1115 with a 15 minute rest stop at Ouezzane, adult fare 110 dirhams and the same luggage charges as Nejme Chamal, there will be other later departures on independent bus companies, their timetables are painted on the walls outside their offices in Chefchaouen bus station, but the only way to find them is in the bus station hall.

ctm.ma/horaires-et-tarifs/acheter-un-billet

Before finalising your plans check a weather forecast for Chefchaouen, although the weather in May is usually dry and sunny, there is no guarantee of this..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2553455

Some of my incomplete previous writings and pictures of the town on the mountainside might be of interest here....

https:/…

Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Tangier then on to Chefchaouen and Rabat

You should spend the night in Chefchaouen. You're trying to rush too much. The next day you can go to Rabat.

North Ayrshire...
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Tangier then on to Chefchaouen and Rabat

There is a hotel and restaurant opposite the front door of the Gare Routiere, Chefchaouen, Avenue Maghreb Arabe, if you are too exhausted to go any further, and it will have been a long day travelling. The town centre is a mile from the bus station but up a VERY steep hill, Petit taxis are much in demand and can be thin on the ground, especially when several buses arrive simultaneously, and again you will need two taxis, they only seat three persons.

A better idea is to book a hotel in advance of travel and request a pick up from the bus station, check some of the reviews on this site to find something suitable. Hotel Atlas Chaouen, Rue Sidi Abdelhamid up on the mountainside would be my choice, it has beautiful views of the mountains and valleys, a swimming pool and large hustler-free lounge bar with free ambient Wifi......

travellerspoint.com/photos/…

Germany
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Tangier then on to Chefchaouen and Rabat

Kaptainsensible, thanks so much for your detailed reply. I think we would prefer not to take the bus to Chefchaouen due to time constraints, though we would be okay taking the bus to Rabat. Thanks also for the hotel recommendations.

FreeYourMind117, I have considered spending the night, but that would mean one less night in Rabat with our friends... hmmm, what to do?

Level Contributor
1,431 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Tangier then on to Chefchaouen and Rabat

Chefchaouen is wonderful. Just spend the night there, it's better. No rush. Viel Spaß.

Germany
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Tangier then on to Chefchaouen and Rabat

Okay, thank you for your recommendation.

Any other tips on getting from Chefchaouen to Rabat?

Reply to: Ferry to Tangier then on to Chefchaouen and Rabat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted