We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gibraltar to Tangier

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Gibraltar to Tangier

My husband and I are travling to spain in September, and are wondering about the best way to get to Tangier. We will be spending 1 day/1 night in Gibraltar, but it seems there are not many ferrys leaving from there. Is the best way to leave from Algeciras? I believe it is only about a 30 minute drive from Gibraltar if I am not mistaken........any advice is appreciated!! Thank you!

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gibraltar to Tangier

Hello jennybeansMN,

You are correct, it is only about 20/30minutes from the border in Gibraltar to Algercias. The ferries to Tangiers from Gibraltar only run on a Friday evening and return from Tangiers to Gibraltar late on a Sunday evening.

Unless you are wishing to travel on a Friday evening then you are best driving to Algercias port, from there you have a choice of fast speed ferries. www.frs.es operate out of Tarrifa to Tangiers, but they have a free bus from Algercias to transport you to Tarrifa. www.nautusalmaghreb.com operate out of Algercias, they do not operate daily as frequently but you may find them more convenient

I notice that you are planning to visit Tangiers during September, do be aware that September will be the month of Ramadam and as such you will find that not all ammenities will be open all day.

Have a good visit.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gibraltar to Tangier

sorry, the web site should read www.nautus-almaghreb.com.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gibraltar to Tangier

Thank you so much! We will have a rental car, so we will probably just drive to Tarifa from Gibralter and catch the ferry there. How long is that drive? Thanks for your help! We will be in Tangier I believe on Sept 5th. Will Ramadam be going on then?

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
435 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gibraltar to Tangier

Ramadan will just have started.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gibraltar to Tangier

Journey from Gibraltar to Tarifa is in the region of 50 minutes to 1 hour I think.

Ramadam will definitely have commenced by the 5th September, at present everybody seems to be saying either the 1st or 2nd September is the start date..

Do remember that Morocco will be 2 hours ahead of Gibraltar and Spain in September, advantage on arrival, but disadvantage on departure back to Spain.

Have a good trip.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gibraltar to Tangier

Check your details regarding rental car . As far as I am aware, it can be extremely difficult if not impossible to bring a rental car over to Morocco.

Perhaps another forum writer may be able to give you more information regarding bringing your car over.

Germany
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gibraltar to Tangier

Will Ramadan be over by October? I apologize for my complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gibraltar to Tangier

My understading of Ramadam is that it last one month, so I am assuming that it should be finished by the beginning of October.

I am sure that if I am incorrect, another forum writer will correct me.

9. Re: Gibraltar to Tangier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 05:22