We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

afraid of snakes-is Morocco out of the questions?

Toronto
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
afraid of snakes-is Morocco out of the questions?

We were hoping to visit Morocco for a few days after touring Southern Spain. After viewing travelers photos, I am having second thoughts. I HATE SNAKES. I mean, I'm petrified of them and can't even touch a picture on a page of a snake. When I see all these pictures of snake charmers, i think I'm going to pass out. When passing through the markets, how prevalent are these guys? Do they stand back or will I see these horrific black huge snakes on the street? From the photos, they seem to be everywhere!!!!!!

Edited: 17 April 2010, 22:03
East Gwillimbury...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: afraid of snakes-is Morocco out of the questions?

The only place that you'll see snake charmers is at the Jemaa el Fna in Marrakech. They stay in this area and don't roam around. You will hear the "flutes" and see the umbrellas well in advance of being face-to-face with any snakes.

No need to worry.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: afraid of snakes-is Morocco out of the questions?

I react exactly the same way to snakes - even hate to write the very word - and I paste blank paper on pictures of them in magazines so as not to encounter them again while reading. So can understand you well.

When I visited Djaa El-Fna square which plenty of them, not so much as expected but still, I made sure to go faraway from them. They stay next to the people who show them. No-one is going to force you to look at them. What I did was - eventually - after many visits, to secretly have a glimpse of them. Do not laugh, what we fear sometimes it is good idea to face our fears. I had a realiable good friend, and holding his arm tight I actually LOOKED at these creatures, and found out they are not so horribly terrible. Sorry for this story, but it did ease my fears somewhat.

So go ahead and if you feel better, stay far away from them, and you'll enjoy your trip.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
3. Re: afraid of snakes-is Morocco out of the questions?

There are also a couple of snake charmers in the medina at Tangier. They are easily avoidable, as they are in Marrakech too. Travellers probably take pictures of them because it is something novel to them, but rest assured that snakes are not ruling the place! Book your holiday and enjoy Morocco!

4. Re: afraid of snakes-is Morocco out of the questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2010, 06:21