We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Services between Algeciras and Tangier moved to Tanger Med

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
787 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Services between Algeciras and Tangier moved to Tanger Med

As of yesterday, Monday May 17, ALL services between Algeciras and Tangier will operate into and out of the new Tanger Med port. Here is a communique (in French) explaining how they plan to phase in moving most services to the new port:

www.tmsa.ma/?Id=16&lang=fr&RefCat=12&Ref=39

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
787 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Services between Algeciras and Tangier moved to Tanger Med

To explain a little further, this is what the Tanger Med communique lays out:

1. From May 17 2010 all services between Algeciras and Tangier will operate in and out of the new Tanger Med passenger port.

2. The service between Tanger and Tarifa will continue to operate in and out of Tanger Ville (town) port for the duration of summer 2010, and from sometime in October 2010 there will be departures to Tarifa from both Tanger Ville and Tanger Med ports.

3. During the summer months in 2010 the longer haul boats from and to Tangier which service Genoa, Sete and Barcelona will continue to dock in Tanger Ville (town) port, but sometime in October 2010 these will also be phased into Tanger Med port.

4. It is understood that cruise ships will continue to dock in the Tanger Ville old town port.

5. All freight services to and from Tangier are expected to have moved to the Tanger Med freight port by October 2010.

fes
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Services between Algeciras and Tangier moved to Tanger Med

hi zohor, i want to know how to apply for a job in tanger med port, i mean working for travel companies there, i used to work in the airport of tanger ibn batouta, just to let you know i am not in tangeir now

thanks

othman

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
787 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Services between Algeciras and Tangier moved to Tanger Med

Othman, I'm sorry but I have absolutely no idea how you should apply for a job at the Tanger Med port. Perhaps you should contact the TMSA via their website (see my first post on this subject). Good luck, anyway!

Notts UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Services between Algeciras and Tangier moved to Tanger Med

Hi sorry to be a bit dence but what does this mean to travellers? We are planning a trip to Morocco by plane, then onto Spain, we are catching the fast ferry from Tanger over to Algeciars (excuse spelling) foot passenger Will this effect us at all? Thanks for any advice

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
787 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Services between Algeciras and Tangier moved to Tanger Med

If you are booked on a ferry from Tangier to Algeciras this means that you will get the ferry at Tanger Med passenger terminal instead of the port in Tangier town itself. Therefore instead of taking a taxi or walking into the port in town, you will need to get to the Tangier Med port which is about 45 mins away by car. There are train services from Tangier, and of course the big taxis (cream coloured) - but I can't tell you exactly how much this will cost at the moment as this is all rather new here in Tangier. On the plus side the sea crossing from Tanger Med to Algeciras is shorter than from Tanger town. I would suggest that you check with the ferry service with whom you have booked for further information and advice as to how to get to Tanger Med.

Notts UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Services between Algeciras and Tangier moved to Tanger Med

Im now a little worried 45 mins away is quite far. We are plaaning on getting night train from Marrkesh to Tanger, the the 930am approx frs ferry or which ever ferry suitable to Algeciars then catching a bus from the bus station to Fungerolia. Do you think it is better to get the ferry to Tafia, is the closure/quicker than traveling from Tanger port to Tanger med? I just want the cheapist/quickest option, Im getting worried now as I go a week on Thursday? Any help gretaly appreciated!!

Notts UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Services between Algeciras and Tangier moved to Tanger Med

Amendment to my above post- I mean we are arriving in Tanger early morning from the night train from Marrakesh not sure exactly what time 8am ish I think? We was then planning on getting the fast ferry from Tanger over to Algeciars at around 930/10am ish, then getting the 1pm bus from Algeciars to Fuengirola. Im now not sure if this is going to work out what with more than likely having to get the ferry to Tafia which gets in a 1145am, so unsure if we would have enough time (1 hr and 15mins)? Someone has posted that the fast ferrys still operate between Tanger to Algeciars, but I have just has had a look and FRS and they aren't, Im not sure if any other ferrys are operaing between the two ports, if anyone knows, advice greatly appreciated!!!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Services between Algeciras and Tangier moved to Tanger Med

This is quite disastrous! Whereas I could walk from the ferry at the old port into the town (no taxi required) even with a suitcase I am now "forced" to pay some outrageous taxi fare?

I am most displeased but I do hope there is a direct train link between Tanger Med and the town without the obligatory arguments over taxi fares to get to the station otherwise it's goodbye for ever Tanger.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
987 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Services between Algeciras and Tangier moved to Tanger Med

I agree with John on this. Have they considered foot passengers at all? Are the ferry companies running free shuttle buses like in Tarifa?

long4auss I would catch the ferry to Tarifa then there is a free connecting bus to Algeciras, which takes 15-20 mins. I would suggest that all travellers use the Tangier-Tarifa route as it will be a lot less hassle than get from Tangier Med port!

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
787 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Services between Algeciras and Tangier moved to Tanger Med

As I mentioned in my very first post, the only ferries from Tangier town (fast ferries or otherwise) are the FRS ferries to Tarifa. All other ferries (fast or otherwise) have been moved to depart from Tanger Med port, with the exception of the long haul ferries to Barcelona, Sete and Genoa.

I have just looked at the FRS website, and they are currently listing ferries from Tangier town to Tarifa every two hours, starting from 8 am, so with luck you should be able to make the 10 am ferry from town if your train gets in around 8 am. I would advise you to go via this route and get the free FRS bus from Tarifa to Algeciras.

I have read that there will be a regular rail connection between Tangier town and Tangier port with around 9 services per day in each direction (taking around 45 mins), but I cannot find any current timetables confirming this. I am hoping to go to the train station today to get the latest info directly from ONCF.