We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tangier Night Life ?????

Which Tangier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester
Level Contributor
74 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Tangier Night Life ?????

I'm looking to be in Tangier for a few nights in September last time stayed at the Rembrant which was o.k

Fancy a few beers somewhere any suggestions on somewhere decent with a bit of life ??

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tangier Night Life ?????

It’s got to be the Tanger Inn, just back from the sea front under the El Muniria Hotel. It’s the bar that all the old beat generation/interzone authors used to frequent (Jack Kerouac, William Borroughs etc), and it still has photos of the old boys on the walls. Thankfully it’s moved on a bit from the old days and is now jumping with the cool folk of Tangier. Last time I was there (last summer) it was a Friday night and it was great (not like the other bars in town which are full of prostitutes and there punters).

So far it’s the only decent place I found to have a drink in Tangier.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
656 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tangier Night Life ?????

….oh, but I think it’s pretty quiet apart from a Friday and Saturday night.

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tangier Night Life ?????

I presume that you are aware that part of September will coincide with the later part of Ramadam. Provided that it is not during that period, there are nigh clubs on the plague that will have beer and dancing etc, besides that you can try Ruby's, or the Irish bar, not sure how much night life there is in the later one, but that will definetely be open during Ramadam as well as Ruby's. There are a few other night clubs in the city centre, but as I have not been to them cannot advice. Movenpick do a good Saturday night cabaret and meal, but this may end the end of August when most tourists head back to Europe.

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
719 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tangier Night Life ?????

There is a Facebook page (in French) dedicated to Tangier nightlife:

www.facebook.com/group.php…

They list the best pubs as:

Tangerinn/Esquinita/Annie/Chella Beach/London's Pub/Boubana/Space/

Disparate/Relais Lounge (Dawliz)/Mangana Lounge (Dawliz)

I would add to this Brownie's Bar, next to the Mondial club and opposite Hotel Solazur. Prices are very reasonable here.

As TangerGirl says, during Ramadan (which runs to around September 10th this year) and for a few days during the Eid festival, all independent bars will be closed, and the only place to get a drink would be in the bar of one of the big hotels.

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tangier Night Life ?????

Regarding the lounges at Dawliz, I haveonly been in once since Dawliz was converted, and I must say that the drinks were expensive, there were only a few people in exctremely rich young Moroccans accompanied by *ladies of the night", and lacked any atmosphere, or imho that was how I felt. The old Dawliz was a different matter , that did have something to offer.

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
719 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tangier Night Life ?????

I'm inclined to agree with TangerGirl about lack of atmosphere, but this does not detract from the fact that the two Dawliz lounges are amongst the top watering holes, according to the locals. As far as the "ladies of the night" are concerned, you will see them in all the discos and some of the hotel bars here, that's just a fact of life. And of course most of these 'new' places do seem to charge a lot for drinks, which is why I go to somewhere like Brownie's. Another good place to just go for a drink & tapas is the Rubis bar (near Madame Porte and next door to Casa Pepe epicerie). There is also a great tapas bar almost next to the Escargot restaurant (in the side street next to the Rembrandt) but I am not sure of the name; this place has a lot of atmosphere.

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tangier Night Life ?????

To Zohor,

I don't know if you are thinking of the same tapas bar (the one in the side street of the Rembrandt) if so, I have never been allowed into it, it appears to be a male only bar, and twice when my daughter and I have attempted to enter it, we have been refused entry. *Oh no, me only" . I am know beginning to get an inferior complex if you have been allowed in. (Joking), but next time I am over I will definetely have another go at entry.

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
719 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tangier Night Life ?????

Hi TangerGirl,

Yes, I have been allowed in on more than one occasion! I believe there were a couple of other women in there, too. 'Tis true I was accompanied by my Moroccan husband. Clientele is definitely mostly men, and apart from a few stools it's standing only - and the stools are not designed for the female posterior either. The tapas are delicious.

Chioggia
Level Contributor
284 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tangier Night Life ?????

Hello Tangier Girl...

long time no write from me - sorry ...

is the bar the one called Romero's ... ?

very very packed - one pays at the entrance and get the drink as you go in ...

"unusual " ambiance ... and a real drinking place -

I have been once ..

I found it hilarious but that might my British side of humour ( if I still have some left ! ) .

The few ladies around try to engage in conversation but there are very few.

By the description of there being very few stools around , it sounds like this one .

Best wishes ,

Alan

10. Re: Tangier Night Life ?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2010, 13:35