We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaga to Tangier

UK
5 posts
Save Topic
Malaga to Tangier

Hi.

Im going to Malaga in November for a week (direct flight from uk) and am slightly confused on the best way to get to Tangier. I'll be on foot so will need to take a bus or something to a port that serves Tangier. I am eager to spend a couple days in Tangier so any help would be much appreciated. I have done some research but am a little confused about the Tangier med port and how i could get from there to Tangier or if there is a better way.

I'd rather do this on the cheapest option possible.

Many thanks for any help

Louis

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaga to Tangier

Hi,

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293737-i9554-k401…

If this info is still current it might help.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaga to Tangier

It is still a valid post, Tarifa to Tanger Port is the preferred option although I seem to recall that if you went to Tanger Med from Algeciras you are eligible for a free shuttle if you show your ferry ticket; if I'm right then this would save you some money and hassle finding a taxi to take you.

You really do need to scour through previous posts by entering some key words or phrases in the search bar just above the forum posts.

There have been some recent articles on this very subject where the poster gave some relevant info in great detail.

UK
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaga to Tangier

Thanks,

yeah i have a rough idea now i'm just not sure on what bus to take from Malaga to Algeciras, like do they go on numbers or will it have the destination on the front of the bus? i'm assuming i will be able to catch it from the centre of Malaga.

Also is Tarifa worth spending a night in? if it is i wont feel as pressured to make it back to a hotel in Malaga...

I dont usually have problems traveling and any hurdle is all part of the trip i'm just not familiar with the region so any recommendations or anything are welcomed. The trip is just spontaneous with my girlfriend.

Thanks again for any help

marrakech
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaga to Tangier

Hi,

Maybe a look/search/question on the Malaga forum would help?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaga to Tangier

Google for the Portillo bus service which runs direct from the airport.

Cardiff
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaga to Tangier

We have just come back from Spain and went to Tangier for the day. Would definitely recommend it but don't do like we did and go on an organised tour. We didn't mind that it was a bit expensive was we hadn't planned in advance and weren't sure where to go but we were irritated with the fact that we were given no time to wander around and only taken to certain expensive shops and made to sit while they tried to flog us stuff in the guise of "giving demonstrations". The ferry we went on from Tarifa was Comitar and they run quite regularly. Have looked for their website since we've come back but can't find them.

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaga to Tangier

The ferry company is called COMARIT. They run one of the two fast ferry services between Tarifa and Tangier:

http://www.comarit.es/

The other company that does Tarifa to Tangier is FRS:

http://www.frs.es/

And yes, Tarifa is a quaint town, geared around windsurfing. It's a kind of old-fashioned hippy-type hangout, and I love it (I guess I must be an old hippy then) and the Old Town is the place to stay. I would much rather stay there for one night than Malaga, but maybe that's just my taste. If you want nightlife then this would not be the place. Check it out on the Spanish forums.

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaga to Tangier

The ferry company is called COMARIT. They run one of the two fast ferry services between Tarifa and Tangier:

http://www.comarit.es/

The other company that does Tarifa to Tangier is FRS:

http://www.frs.es/

And yes, Tarifa is a quaint town, geared around windsurfing. It's a kind of old-fashioned hippy-type hangout, and I love it (I guess I must be an old hippy then) and the Old Town is the place to stay. I would much rather stay there for one night than Malaga, but maybe that's just my taste. If you want nightlife then this would not be the place. Check it out on the Spanish forums.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaga to Tangier

Ah yes, I used Portillo and the service was very good with plenty of leg room. A few stops along the way at main points to pick up more passengers.

Tarifa is an old Roman town and there are some notable things to see such as an old fortress.

When in Tanger do not use a guide, either private or arganised as you are ALWAYS going to be taken into a herbalists, carpet seller or similar which is often run by a relative of the guide in either case. Such a ploy is usually arranged by the two parties such that you pay inflated prices so the guide can earn more in commission at your expense.

Edited: 14 September 2011, 15:48
UK
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaga to Tangier

Thank you for positive feedback, greatly appreciated!