We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spa, Hammam and Beach in Tangier

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Spa, Hammam and Beach in Tangier

Hi guys

Aware this was posted before in 2009/10 but wondering where to go for both a traditionally hammam (like the locals have) and for the best day spa facilities (pool, jacuzzi, etc).

Also, I like to swim in the sea ... I hear that it's not great swimming in Tangier itself. Any better recommendations? Ideal would be a private beach club or hotel beach.

Would love to hear your ideas.

Russ

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
354 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spa, Hammam and Beach in Tangier

did you ever get an answer or did you find it yourself? Interested

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spa, Hammam and Beach in Tangier

I'm afraid I didn't get any replies :( Still hoping for some; not travelling til March. Can't believe no-one can help with this ...

3. Re: Spa, Hammam and Beach in Tangier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 November 2011, 13:35
Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spa, Hammam and Beach in Tangier

Not the easiest to answer with specifics. There are hammams (locally used ones) throughout the city. Ask in your hotel where a local hammam is that was not built for the tourist trade. Local hammams are pretty basic and not really looking for the tourist trade. You could also ask in stores and such. Most people will just assume you are looking for a "tourist hammam" and point you in that direction. Personally I prefer to be a little more pampered than what a local hammam can offer. True there is a huge difference in price. As far as the beach goes, it is getting a lot better. I have been in the water downtown Tangier. It's not horrible and getting better. As is true about anywhere cleaner water is found further outside any city. Without transportation though it's not easy to get to the beaches farther away.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spa, Hammam and Beach in Tangier

Many thanks for the reply; I understand the distinctions. Where would your top tip for a bit of pampering be? Where has the best facilities?

Manchester
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spa, Hammam and Beach in Tangier

I have not replied to this question before, as I do not visit hammans, neither posh nor basics, though many of my Moroccan friends try very hard to persuade me to come with them.

Would suggest that you visit some of the upmarket hotels that have spas attached to them and have a look around and see whether they are offering what you require, perhaps you may decide to venture into some of the "none tourist ones", though I doubt if you will be given the opportunity to look around first of all..

The beach heading towards Cap Spartal is a good beach and may suit you for the purpose of swimming. Obviously you will need to get a taxi to go there though. I would suggest if possible you arrange for a return journey, though do not pay in advance for your return journey.

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Spa, Hammam and Beach in Tangier

You could try the Sheherazade Hammam.

Edited: 12 February 2012, 16:56
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Spa, Hammam and Beach in Tangier

The hammams attached to the hotels are similar to the ones you get over in uk. If you want a more authentic experience then you do need to go to a local one. I took my sister in law recently and left her in the care of the assistant having asked her to give her the full works. I returned to collect her a couple of hours later. She was positively glowing. She had been scrubbed washed and massaged. She loved it and she only paid 50 dirhams. Your hotel should be able to recommend one.

As for beaches my favourite is near Cap Spartel. Best to go in thelate afternoon so you can watch the sunset whilst your there.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spa, Hammam and Beach in Tangier

Had a great time in Tangier, with ace weather, but was too cold to swim in the sea! Inspected facilities in Rif Hotel and Spa, Husa Solazur, and El Minzah. All seemed to have attractive pools, well kept spas, and reasonable treatment menus. Opted for Husa Solazur because of friendly welcome and varied treatment menu, although this was slightly more expensive than the other two. We were able to book hammam, massage, mani and pedi for DH850; and hammam and massage for DH600. The hammams were great; other treatments good. Didn't pluck up the courage for local hammams, will have to do that next time. Thanks all for advice!

10. Re: Spa, Hammam and Beach in Tangier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 12:16