We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tarifa ferry from Tangier -any issue with a non-EU passport?

Which Tangier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
26 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Tarifa ferry from Tangier -any issue with a non-EU passport?

I'm an American citizen living in Morocco and planning a trip to Tarifa from Tangier later this month. In the Rough Guide 2010 Guidebook for Morocco, it says that Tarifa is not an international port and therefore only accepts passengers holding EU passports. I have not read this anywhere else, including several other guidebooks, and from what I see on forums, it seems like non-EU people are going into Tarifa. Can anyone speak to this, preferably someone without an EU passport who recently made the trip into Tarifa (as opposed to leaving Tarifa)? Thanks very much!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tarifa ferry from Tangier -any issue with a non-EU passport?

Clearly this is wrong, no way would Morocco agree a ferry service to Tanger that it's own nationals couldn't use. Tarifa is a Spanish port. All passports accepted.

I tried without success to find this in my Rough Guide. Please let me know where you read this.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
26 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tarifa ferry from Tangier -any issue with a non-EU passport?

Thanks Tim. Seemed very odd to me too! It's in my Rough Guide to Morocco, 9th edition, published in April 2010. On page 104 in the Tangier section under the "Moving On" heading: "Leaving the country, ferries run to Algeciras, Gibraltar, Tarifa, Genoa (Italy) and Sete (France). Note that Tarifa is not an international port and therefore only accepts passengers holding Eu passports."

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tarifa ferry from Tangier -any issue with a non-EU passport?

Thanks, it's in mine as well. But I'm 99% sure it's wrong.

Another thread on the subject: tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g293730-i9195-k3692…

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tarifa ferry from Tangier -any issue with a non-EU passport?

I have taken the trip repeatedly on my non-EU passport from Morocco to Tarifa and return. Never had a problem. No idea where they would have gotten this information so wrong.

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tarifa ferry from Tangier -any issue with a non-EU passport?

I am a Malaysian planning to travel to Morocco and Spain in the near future. My plan to go into Spain is to take a ferry to Tarifa from Tangier and come back the same way. I read in one of the Trip Advisor posts that Asian passport holders that came into Morocco by flight is not aloud by the immigration to leave the country by boat. It seemed some hard negotiations is required and if you are lucky, you may leave. Can anyone share their experience or refer me to any documents?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
26 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tarifa ferry from Tangier -any issue with a non-EU passport?

Just an update to confirm - I traveled from Tangier to Tarifa last month with a US passport and had no problems!

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tarifa ferry from Tangier -any issue with a non-EU passport?

"I read in one of the Trip Advisor posts that Asian passport holders that came into Morocco by flight is not aloud by the immigration to leave the country by boat."

Please provide a link to the post.

Edited: 12 February 2013, 17:54
Cairo, Egypt
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Tarifa ferry from Tangier -any issue with a non-EU passport?

I am Egyptian and I am planning to visit Tarifa during my stay at Morocco does I need Visa to Spain ?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tarifa ferry from Tangier -any issue with a non-EU passport?

Yes.

10. Re: Tarifa ferry from Tangier -any issue with a non-EU passport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 06:20