We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping

What are the best things to buy in Tangier, other than rugs?

Mirleft, Morocco
Level Contributor
141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping

I'm not a Tangier expert but my 3 day experience there and what I've read here on TA: Nothing - Tangier is mostly a tourist trap where everything is much more expensive (for tourists) than in other places....

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping

Thank you very much. Appreciate your info. Has been hard to get a handle on whether there's any true "must buys" or at least "must look fors."

Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping

Sadly I agree with trypppy - the best thing you can buy is a train ticket to somewhere much more interesting. Sorry! Fes would be your nearest best bet, an Imperial city with more than a thousand years of history, a fabulous medina (ancient walled city), souks and bazaars and shopping opportunities galore (the ceramics are particularly admired for example).

Nyack, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping

Wow,so far there's 100% agreement here. And, trypppy, ceramics is what I'd be most interested in so maybe I need to wait until we can plan a trip to Morocco rather than just taking the hydrofoil over from Tarifa. Is a day trip from Spain worth the time? I was thinking Tangier does have a fascinating history. I can bag the shopping and concentrate on the sites and sights. What do you think? Thanks!!!!!

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping

Before you all completely write Tangier off, I would advise a little background reading. You might decide after all that it's worth a visit.

wildscope.com/travel-reports/A-long-weekend-…

I would also advise you to visit the Madini perfume shop opposite the Terrasse des Paresseux (where the cannons are, near the French Consulate), and the Foundouk Chejra, where you can get lovely handwoven fabrics.

…blogspot.com/2013/01/the-weavers-of-tangier…

Tangier, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Tangier
Level Contributor
816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping

Here, for your information, is an interesting article on the Madini perfume family:

…blogspot.com/2013/10/shopping-in-tangier-ma…

I should add that I am in no way connected with this establishment, but it's one of my favourite shops here in Tangier and very popular with both the tourist and the locals.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping

I agree with trypppy, nothing much besides touristy souveniers. Even the rugs were nothing to brag about.

8. Re: Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:16