We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a local guide Tangier

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a local guide Tangier

Hi,

My Wife and I, along with two other family members (Aged between 27-32) will be making a very sort day trip to Tangier from Tarifa on Thursday 24th July arriving on a FRS Ferry at 8am and will be departing at 1.30pm.

Can anyone recommend a local guide who will be willing to show us around this wonderful city.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a local guide Tangier

Stick 'guide' into the search box for the Tangier forum and you will retrieve previous threads on this subject.

I am sorry to say you will be unmercifully hassled from the moment you step off the ferry unless you know in advance what you are going to do, so research is key.

Don't take the services of a 'faux guide' (false guide), make sure he has the large brass badge of an official guide. And if you don't want to go shopping with the guide make it clear up front.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,361 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a local guide Tangier

Not necessary to have a guide at all. Read guidebook, search after more info about Tangier and it would be then easy to explore this town by your own.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a local guide Tangier

Thank you Tim Cullis and Khamila

Escondido...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a local guide Tangier

We would highly recommend Said Nacir at www.d-destination.com. If you don't have a professional guide you'll surely miss out on some of the best of Tangiers. He gave our family of 4 a private tour last month, including both walking and driving in a van. He is very professional and extremely knowledgeable about all the history. But, he is also informal and casual and you'll feel very relaxed with him, like a friend. We took the ferry from Tarifa also. Said took care of all the arrangements, and met us after we got off the ferry. His price was 1,000 Dirham (about 88 Euros)/person, which included the round-trip ferry from Tarifa. It did not include lunch, though if you want he can arrange that. We brought our own to save $. He did treat us to the best mint tea in the world, with crepes at the little restaurant at Cape Spartel, as well as a refreshment later in the afternoon. All of the guides do similar tours... Kasbah, California row, Cape Spartel, camel ride, Hercules cave, Medina... ( Note that the Hercules cave is closed for renovation til 2015). Again, we highly recommend Said... you won't be disappointed.

Winnipeg CA
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a local guide Tangier

My family was in Tangier for 3 days in Apr 2014. We met a guide named Simo. He was professional, knowledgable, trustworthy and very likeable. He really enhanced our enjoyment of this adventure. His phone number is 00212 674 84 25 58. His rates were reasonable as his help was invaluable. We paid 25E for a 3-4 hour walking tour of the Kasbah, we tipped him generously on top of that. He also translated, arranged taxis, recommended restaurants etc. If you call him, say hi from Melene, Don, Julie, Laura and Ryan from Canada. I have tried to post a review of his service on TripAdvisor but they tell me he doesn't meet the requirements of a business. Too bad.

Seattle...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a local guide Tangier

We went there yesterday with our 2 young kids while visiting Marbella. We did not have the time to make an early reservation of a tour guide since we decided on the trip pretty late.

While purchasing tickets we had the option of booking into a group tour. It's cheaper than buying the return tickets (50EUR per adult with the group tour as opposed to 65EUR for only ferry tickets). But we wanted a private tour so that we could go at our own pace. So we decided to go with only ferry tickets.

While landing at the ferry dock in Tangier, we met a person (sorry, I forget his name) who seemed to be a meet and greet type. He introduced us to a tour guide - Mr. Mustapha for 40EUR for a 4 hour private tour. Mr. Mustapha was an excellent tour guide. He took us to the city and the medina (the old city with narrow streets etc.). The tour seems pre-planned, but it was a good combination of attractions that kept my kids (9 yrs, 5 yrs) engaged.

He also took us thru the markets where we got to sample, dates, olives and goat cheese. He seemed very educated and I would highly recommend him if you meet him there.

We did bump into a small group of people which looked like the group tour. They seemed to follow the same course as we did. Being early in the season, the group was small - so perhaps we ended up paying more for the same tour :) - But it was worth every dollar spent so no regrets.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a local guide Tangier

I'm not sure if prices have changed but the price for an official guide anywhere in Morocco a couple of years ago was 150dh for a half day and 250dh for a full day. This is for an official guide with the brass plate round the neck. So 40€ (440dh) is a bit steep for half a day, but on the other hand you were well pleased.

All guides also aim to earn commission from shopkeepers on things that you buy (typically 30-40%) which means prices when out shopping with a guide can never be as low as when you are on your own. If you don't want to be constantly steered into shopping opportunities make it clear from the outset and perhaps agree to pay a little more.

Playa de las...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a local guide Tangier

We just had a tour with Said tours. It was very fun and informative. We felt like Said really took care of us. He and his associate felt like a family friend by the end of the day. Highly recommended.

9. Re: Looking for a local guide Tangier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:16