We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tangier tto casablanca or marrakesh?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
tangier tto casablanca or marrakesh?

Hello,

We are travelling to Tangier from south of Spain in June, 2007. We have few days and I was wondering if we travelled south from Tangier, which city would give us a great Morocco feel, Casablaca or Marrakesh? How long does it take to get to those cities from Tangier and what is the best form of transportation for the trip. I forgot to mention that we will be travelling with our 2 sons ages 15 and 11.

Thanks for your help!

Level Contributor
1,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tangier tto casablanca or marrakesh?

The best way to go is the train.

It's at least 5 hours to Casablanca, more if your trip involves a change of train. There are limited direct services. Tangier to Marrakech is close to 10 hours.

Casablanca isn't the greatest city in Morocco. Consider a visit to Meknes (4 hours from Tangier) or Fes (5 hours).

penna
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tangier tto casablanca or marrakesh?

My advice is if you only have 3 days for morocco from spain to maybe see something more in costa del sol , and save morocco till you have more time.

do do what you want you will end up on a train for 2 days and see something one day.

but if you really want this I would say there is a night train from tangiers to marrakech take that and take the night train from mara to tangiers.

maximize sleeping while traveling.

Also look at maybe flying from Malaga to either casa or marrakech.

I have seen fares from malaga to casablanca on regional air,iberia and Royal air Moroc for under 100 euro return ticket ( both ways)

that way you travel faster and maximize your time.

tangier to casa on train is maybe 6 hours and casa to Mara is 3.5 hours ( more or less)

you can check exact train times and prices on thier web site

www.oncf.ma

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tangier tto casablanca or marrakesh?

Having a home in Tangiers and travelling frequently to Casablanca, I would certainly advice that you flew internally from Tangiers. Casablanca takes at least 6 hours by train, they are comfortable if you travel lst class, but quite often are full, you will find that there is probably only 1 train a day travelling direct without having to change, and that takes a good 6 hours. check out on the moroccan sites for cheap deals for flying internally. Casablanca is very modern and quite beautiful, but very expensive. Marrakesh takes even longer by train, normally people travel over night on the train, I do not know a lot about Marrakesh except to say that it is very tourist but have been told by many Moroccans that April is the month to go, because of the beautiful smells of the orange trees. Another idea is Fez, which is to me one of the most beautiful cities, combining old with new and fabulous handcraft, once again it takes six hours by train and you need to change trains at least once, but again you can fly internally, via casablanca. Hope that this helps you

Tangergirl

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tangier tto casablanca or marrakesh?

I agree that Marrakesh is a bit far for just a few days jaunt from Spain. While it is possible to fly internally, I'm not sure if it makes the most sense economically for four people. I would suggest staying a bit closer and go to Fes, which will certainly give you a more "Moroccan" (at least, a slightly more exotic and perhaps romanticised meaning) feel than Marrakesh, which has become too touristy for my taste, or Casablanca, which by no stretch of the English language can be called "beautiful".

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tangier tto casablanca or marrakesh?

I would disagree with Chano on 2 points. If you check the web sites you can get some very reasonable prices for internal flights in Morocco. Tangier to Casablanca can cost as little as £50 return, up against when I travelled by train in August 2006 the rail fare was equivalentto £25 and took six hours going, and 8 hours return. In other words most of a day each way. Regarding Casablanca, I still maintain that it is a very beautiful city. Large Boulevard tree lined with some beautiful buildings and the most impressive mosque. I would agree that Fez is fabulous, my own personal view is that I love Tangiers with my heart (the people are warms and friendly and the bay is to die for) but I love Fez with my eyes, the culture is fabulous and the people so friendly, but be aware that the souk has sights that are alien to some Europeans. But for all of that it is a fascinating city to visit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tangier tto casablanca or marrakesh?

I would like to vist tangiers to inspect a property, I would like to go out on a Saturday and back on a Sunday. Can anyone reccomend an airline that would be best for this, also a hotel for one night that is central.

Many thanks

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tangier tto casablanca or marrakesh?

I think that you will struggle to find an airline that will fly you out on a Saturday and fly bak to London on a Sunday. Royal Air Maroc fly daily, but I think that I am correct in saying that they do not arrive into Tangiers until late evening and they fly back mid morning . An alternative could be to fly to Gibraltar on the Friday afternoon and use the FRS ferry direct across to Tangiers from Gibraltar, you would need to check departure times it is normally early evening sailing on a Friday to Tangiers, and for safety purposes I would suggest that you sail back from Tangiers into Algercias port on the Sunday, it is only a short taxi drive to the Border point at Gibraltar, taxi 15 Euros.. The only other way is to fly direct into Malaga and expensively get a taxi to Algercias and sail on the Saturday from Algercias,, or you can get the bus from Malaga to Algercias, but it takes close on three hours I believe. Do remember your time differences when planning your journey, especially coming back from Tangiers for connections. Hope that gives you some ideas.. The only hotel that I would personally recommend is the Hotel El Minzah, which I have used on many occassions and even now having our own home in Tangiers I still recommend to our friends, staff are very helpful and obliging, nothing is to much trouble for them and it is right in the centre of Tangiers, so obtaining a taxi would be no trouble at all.

Hope that this is of some help to you, if you need any further help you are most welcome to get in touch with me.

Regards

Tangergirl

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tangier tto casablanca or marrakesh?

Tangergirl

Thanks for the info that really helps!

What if I flew to Malaga and rented a car, are there any problems taking it into Morocco? When you say an expensive cab ride have you any idea on cost.

Manchester
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tangier tto casablanca or marrakesh?

Hello Mannor Park,

The charges that the Malaga taxis charge me is usually between 115 and 125 Euros, each way. and I have not been able to negotiate a cheaper fare. I forgot to mention that you can also fly direct with Regional Airline from Malaga to Tangier time of flight is around 25 minutes, but be very aware, they are totally unreliable. Speaking from personal experience, on more than one occassion I have arrived at Malaga airport to be informed that the flight has been either cancelled or schedule has been changed without informing me and they have become ridiculously expensive, currently charging in excess of £200 for end of March. If you want to enquire, Royal Air Maroc will book this flight for you, but once again they seem to charge a handling fee, or quote very expensive fares. Personally I have never hired a car from Malaga to take over to Tangiers, and would not advice it. (driving in Tangiers city is quite hair-raising, very different to London etc) and I normally stay for six to eights weeks when I go over. I think that you would be better hiring a car and leaving it at Algercias, but cannot give you very much information as to where you would park it there. It is possible to hire a chauffier driven taxi for your personal convenience at quite a reasonable rate, if you need details, I think that I still have phone number of driver that was personally recommended, but if you are travelling shortly, i.e. not in main summer season getting a taxi will not be a problem, and if you are viewing property in Tangier city it is a walk in the park so to speak, little petit (Blue taxis) cost so very little, if it is out of the city then you do need to use the Grande taxis (white Mercedes) which are quite a bit more expensive, and do fix your price before setting off. Any further help needed just let me know.

Good Luck

Tangergirl

London, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tangier tto casablanca or marrakesh?

Tangergirl, thanks you are being really helpful.

Would it help if I fly to another moroccan airport and then went to tangier? sorry to be a pain but I now have my deposit down on the property and have to see the site within about 4-5 weeks as thats is when exchange of contracts is due.