We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any sightings of sharks in and around the Seychelles?

London
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any sightings of sharks in and around the Seychelles?

Hi

This may or may not be a strange question but I have never been to the Seychelles and my partner and I are currently researching locations for our honeymoon in May 2008. We love the idea of going to the Seychelles, we also love swimming in the sea, snorkelling and the odd diving trip.... but we're not keen on sharks!

I've done a small amount of research on the internet and both bull and mako sharks are listed for sightings in the seychelles. Can anyone advise whether or not they have seen or know of any shark sightings in and around the Seychelles please or just tell us not to worry!?

Many thanks,

Louise

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any sightings of sharks in and around the Seychelles?

In the two trips I have taken I have never seen a shark whilst swimming and only twice have a I seen a small reef shark. Once on a dive in Mahe - it was asleep under an overhang - and once fleetingly whilst snorkelling at Ills Cocos (off La Digue) and quite frankly the small shark couldn't get away fast enough!. I saw bigger rays in the seychelles than the two sharks I saw. I would absolutely say do not worry. There are no shark feeding tours or anything like that on the Seychelles and so I very much doubt anything dangerous would come anywhere near the shore or snorkelling sites and you'd be lucky to see one on a dive as well.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
55 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any sightings of sharks in and around the Seychelles?

Hi,

Don't worry about sharks - I have been to the seychelles on a few occasions - travelling between the main island and Praslin as well as La Digue - On my last visit - due to sheer stupidity on my behalf I swam alone for about four hours through the Marine Park off Praslin befor being resuced and did not encounter any sharks! thank goodness. The snorkeling off Praslin is fantastic.

Enjoy!

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
741 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any sightings of sharks in and around the Seychelles?

Hi

Some friends we met saw sharks whilst diving off Silhouette Island although they were small and assured harmless. They are out there but from assurances everywhere we went not something to be concerned about.

Hope this helps.

London
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any sightings of sharks in and around the Seychelles?

Thank you so much for your replies, we feel nicely reassured now! ....and we've booked our honeymoon to the Seychelles too! we're REALLY looking forward to it!

Louise

NH USA
Level Contributor
412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any sightings of sharks in and around the Seychelles?

Never saw or even heard about sharks while there..........they dont even offer shark tours like in Tahiti.....so that should make you feel more comfortable. Enjoy your holiday!!!

6. Re: Any sightings of sharks in and around the Seychelles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 22:16