We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Seychelles

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Seychelles

My partner and I will be in South Africa in January and will have 10-12 days to do a trip to the Seychelles. There seems to be a bewildering choice of Islands and we were just wondering if any could make some suggestions. I think we would like to do 2 or possibly 3 islands. We are more interested in nature and seclusion than large "western style" hotels.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

London, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Seychelles

Andy - the hotels are more secluded, the laws insist that the buildings blend into the scenery rather than those horrible big concrete things like Dubai and in Europe.

Bird Island is as close to nature as you will get, Denis island is very pretty and luxurious and very secluded - but the key thing in the Seychelles is your budget as some of the more secluded places are very expensive. Praslin is very nice and La Digue is very picturesque and quiet. Desroches and Silhoutte are also very nice.

I've said this a lot to people in the past but you should speak to one of the destination experts like Seychelles Travel or Seyexclusive, there are a few others if you google it too. You'll get some realistic ideas tailored to your budget.

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Seychelles

I also agree Bird Island is lovely, but it is not luxury. If you are after a natural "robinson crusoe" experience and to totally relax Bird Island is for you. But if you want flat screen tv's (there are none!) and air con and luxury then choose one of the other luxury resorts. We thoroughly enjoyed Bird Island.

La Digue in my opinion is the prettiest island with some stunning beaches, you could maybe stay on Praslin and island hop to La Digue or vice versa.

We did hire a car on Mahe, it's not terribly big and there are some lovely beaches to be found but obviously it is the most developed island.

Island hopping is definitely the way to go.

Wayzata MN
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Seychelles

Hi Andy! I definitely think it's worth it to do a little island hopping. There is a lot to see/do on Praslin so definitely some time there. My favorite hotels are L'Archipel and La Reserve. Definitely do a day trip to La Digue. If you've got a healthy budget, North Island is AMAZING but super expensive. There are some other private island resorts that are still expensive but not nearly as expensive as NI. Desroches is fantastic. Another fav of mine is Denis. Then, some time at the end on Mahe which has a huge variety of hotels/guest houses.

Sue Rovegno-Travel Consultant Travel Beyond

London
Level Contributor
849 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Seychelles

Hi Andy

I have to echo the general consensus here. If you are looking for something absolutely unique, at one with nature and positively Seychellois, then you need look no further than Bird Island.

I'd also suggest you stay on Praslin in perhaps Le Duc Du Praslin and maybe treat yourself to a couple of nights at Beachcomber St Anne at the end. St Anne is wonderful in the sense that it is an island, but with a 15 minute transfer by boat to Mahe means you can tour round the main island with ease.

Let me know if you need any more information.

5. Re: First time to Seychelles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 05:16