We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is The Seychelles Gay Friendly..?

greece
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
is The Seychelles Gay Friendly..?

just curious why i cant find anything on this forum todo with{ Gay couple-friendly}this subject.. could..Anybody who has any infomation about this issue please let me know....thanks

mahe, seychelles
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is The Seychelles Gay Friendly..?

Seychelles is very open community, there is no social taboos here. We often have Gay couples stay with us( if I am allowed to say so) I believe some of our staff also is Gay and there is no problem whatsoever.

London
Level Contributor
849 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is The Seychelles Gay Friendly..?

Hi Greeceben

I will answer this very carefully: Seychelles is a very relaxed place and has a tolerant and happy going society. I would say that it is couple friendly, as opposed to openly gay friendly, requesting discretion from all of its visitors.

And that kind of sums it up, there are no gay bars, clubs etc, just lovely discreet hotels and guest houses where you can go a relax with other holiday makers.

You will certainly find a warm welcome there!

Torquay, England
Level Contributor
697 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is The Seychelles Gay Friendly..?

It says on the internet that homosexuality is illegal in the Seychelles.

London, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is The Seychelles Gay Friendly..?

...so is drink driving, but everyone in the Seychelles does that!!

I know gay friends who have gone to Seychelles and took advantage of honeymoon offers at hotels!!

We also had 2 gay couples at our wedding in the Seychelles, and there are lots of gay people working at the hotels themselves. This is just one of those "laws" that in reality isnt enforced.

greece
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is The Seychelles Gay Friendly..?

thanks everyone for your replies......its put my mind at ease....have been to Mauritius and Maldives and never had a problem...

6. Re: is The Seychelles Gay Friendly..?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 May 2010, 21:35
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is The Seychelles Gay Friendly..?

Hmm I would tread carefully to be honest. I've not seen any gay couples openly expressing affection, especially among the Seychellois in over ten years of residence. May be different within your hotel grounds, beach in front of hotel, etc but when you're just the two you outside your hotel just be careful and keep the PDA down :)

The Seychelles does identify itself as a Roman Catholic country. And the word 'pilon' which means gay man, is considered an insult.

Seychellois are relaxed and friendly in general so I don't think you'd have any issues normally. And of course it's not like there are no gay Seychellois - just be careful not to be affectionate in public and you probably won't get any agro.

Always thought it was very sad that a couple in love couldn't express affection without people passing judgement but there you have it...

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is The Seychelles Gay Friendly..?

Do the posters who are busy plugging their guesthouses on these forums realize that you are not supposed to be doing that?

These forums are for answering questions and maintaining a discussion so please refrain from advertising your business interests - it goes against the tripadvisor policy AND you are contributing to making the forums a place for advertising and not discussion.

9. Re: is The Seychelles Gay Friendly..?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 04:42
10. Re: is The Seychelles Gay Friendly..?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 11:04