We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon destination help needed please.....!!!!

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
760 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon destination help needed please.....!!!!

Hi there

We will be going on honeymoon in August and we have a some questions please. We have managed to narrow our search to the Indian Ocean......so far.... these are our questions.

1) Just how expensive is the Seychelles and Mauritius, some reports on here sound like it is extremely expensive and whilst we don't mind paying 'English' prices and inflated prices for wine, we don't want our honeymoon to be spoiled by having to watch what we spend.... I am looking at either the Banyan Tree, Seychelles or the Oberoi pr Taj Exotica in Mauritius.

2) If we stay at the Banyan Tree, where would you recommend for a 2nd week?

3) Is it easily possible to do the Seychelles and the Maldives in two weeks. We fancy the Maldives but think we will become bored if we stay longer than a week.

Many, many thanks guys!!!

Suzanne and Adam

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon destination help needed please.....!!!!

Hi,

Just back from the Seychelles, and there's no doubt that the resorts can be expensive. The cheapest bottle of wine at the Banyan tree is (fom memory) 45 Euros and the food prices are similar to what you would pay in a top London restaurant. Having said that, it is fantastic and there's only so much you can eat and therefore spend. I'd certainly recommend it so long as you include a fairly generous food and drink budget from the outset.

As for the second week, you have a whole load of great options within the Seychelles. We went from Banyan Tree to Praslin (L'archipel) and finished up with 3 days on Fregate. We went for L'archipel as a cheaper option to allow us to be able afford the other two. In hindsight I'm not sure that was a great idea as it ended up being a bit underwhelming. It's perfectly good, just not luxurious. Fregate was pretty unique as you would expect from the price (although the service at Banyan Tree was better), but there are plenty of other other islands that might fit the bill e.g Desroches or Denis. Also, La Digue might be a good alternative to Praslin. We only spent a day there, but would of liked it to be longer - I think it would be great to explore the island at leisure for a few days.

Chris

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon destination help needed please.....!!!!

Hi, we married on mahe in the seychelles and honeymooned on Bird Island.

Between seychelles and mauritius you have to weigh up what you are looking for...both are pricey - but i would say the seychelles are more expensive. In Seychelles you have the choice of island hopping for a day, or extending your trip and doing a 2 centre seychelles honeymoon and combining banyan tree with another more exclusive "island resort".

Seychelles are stunning, picture postcard scenery (especially La Digue - a "must" visit) and just what you think of when when you think "paradise".

I have not been to mauritius but did consider this for my wedding, a lot of friends have told me mauritius is not the paradise they were looking for and the beaches werent so idyllic as the seychelles. but its your own personal choice.

All i can say is do a lot of research on your chosen hotels - as after all it is your hard earned cash and it is a lot of money, we saved hard before our wedding to ensure we had loads of spending money so that if we did want to do something or buy something we could do it without the worry of "can i afford it".

where ever you chose - have a great time

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
760 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon destination help needed please.....!!!!

Many thanks Maisie x

Jersey, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon destination help needed please.....!!!!

Hi

We have just got back from our wedding at the Banyan Tree, Seychelles and I was going to do our reviews when I seen your post. Spooky!

We spent 8 nights in the Banyan Tree and it was really good; we said yes to everything, breakfast, lunch, dinner,beach picnics etc and we spent £1700 in total. (£700 of this was spent at the spa which was one whole day of treatments called the Banyan Day and also a couple of extra massages. The spa is not to be missed- its fantastic!) However dont have the Banyan Day; have treatments seperately - the day was a bit of a rip off and you dont get drinks with your lunch - even water!) We stayed in the intendence pool villa which had the best views(ask for villa 304 as we are fairly sure that this is where the photos on the website come from ), pool and jacuzzi but although bigger, nicer and with more privacy than the ones on the beach it did look quite cool to be able to walk out your villa straight onto the beach - personal pref I guess

We had the same dilemma as you where to go next and didnt want it to be a disappointment after the Banyan tree so as we had to fly back via Dubai anyway we stopped at the Burj Al Arab for three nights. This was absolutely amazing, we got a club suite so was quite expensive (call them for prices via website, they are very helpful - especially if its a special occasion - get loads of free stuff!) and we spent about another £3250 there - (this included room as well as food and drinks and a tour of dubai) I would recommend doing this because you can get a bit beached out and to stay at the Burj is an amazing experience. No matter what people tell you it is far better than what we had expected, I wanted to smuggle the butler back! Its the only place I have stayed where the website photos of the room dont actually do it justice!

Whatever you choose I hope you have a great time - emerates are ok to fly with, we went business, not the bling we thought it would be but a lot better I think than then other people have said about air seychelles etc.

Good luck!

italy
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon destination help needed please.....!!!!

Hi Suzanne and Adam,

i'm Terry and i was married on october 2005.

i stayed at Villacherimont on Praslin. It is a wonderful place (over anse lazio) far away from big hotels (iwho are very impersonals!!!). We stayed in Aride la suite royale et we have had a very good stay in total privacy.we do not pay a lot of money!!! we never forget Villacherimont!!!!

6. Re: Honeymoon destination help needed please.....!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 16:19