We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to the Seychelles...Advice needed

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
First trip to the Seychelles...Advice needed

Morning!

My friend & I are visiting the Seychelles for 9 days on the 15th November and shall be staying at Chepstead Chalets on the northern end of Mahe Island.

Prior to our trip I'm hoping someone can help me with some advice on the following;

1. Can you recommend any day trips? Would like to go out on a boat one day to see some turtles, snorkelling. The usual touristy thing :)

2. Any other things to see & do which may be off the beaten track? Restaurants to visit?

3. Recommendations for Car Hire companies? Or are you able to navigate the island using public transport?

4. What are the best beaches for snorkelling and/or relaxing?

5. Money - Which currency do I need to bring? After reading a few reviews can I confirm Euros are only used to pay hotel/car hire and use SCR for food, drink etc?

6. I'm looking at visiting Praslin for a day, getting the early 7.30am flight across with the 5.30 return. To make the most of the day, any suggestions what to do? I was thinking hiring a car from the airport and visiting Anse Lazio & possible Georgette.

Sorry for the small essay, just really wanting to make the most of my time visiting Seychelles. Hate to think I missed out on something :)

Many thanks

Mark

Mentioned in this post
Anse Lazio
Anse Lazio
3,289 Reviews
Praslin Island, Seychelles
Mahe Island
Mahe Island
Seychelles
Aldabra Atoll
Islands, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Reefs, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Eco Center
Scuba & Snorkeling
Liberty charter
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Lone Wolf Charters
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,148 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to the Seychelles...Advice needed

Hello Mark!

Chepsted Chalets are located on top of a hill from where you have a great view of Beau Vallon beach. It is better if you can rent a car if you want to discover the island because using public transport is reliable only for Beau Vallon and Victoria capital.

Coming back to your questions:

1. The best day trip to spot turtles, snorkel and meet giant tortoises is St Anne MP day trip with stop on Moyenne Island.

2. I advise you to hike on Copolia, you will be excited when you reach the top... You have a good restaurant closeby Lounge 8 which has a romantic atmosphere during dinner. On Beau Vallon you can try Boathouse and La Plage while in Victoria I can recommend Kaz Zanana. If you visit Plaine St Andre I recommend you to have also lunch there after the distillery tour.

3. Alpha Car Taxi is very cheap and reliable. You can pick up / drop off the car at the airport.

4. Best beaches for snorkeling are: Sunset beach (close to your accomodation), Port Launay, Anse Royale. For relaxation I recommend you Beau Vallon, Anse Takamaka, Anse Soleil.

5. Since you are from UK take GBP and change them at Cash Plus Office. You have one in Beau Vallon. You can pay also by credit card.

6. Hire a car on Praslin, make a previous reservation at Lemuria and enjoy some hours at Anse Georgette. Then head to Valle de Mai and end your day at Anse Lazio.

Miki

Mentioned in this post
Copolia Lodge
Copolia Lodge
148 Reviews
Mahe Island, Seychelles
Sunset Beach Hotel
Sunset Beach Hotel
377 Reviews
Mahe Island, Seychelles
Beau Vallon Beach
Beau Vallon Beach
1,280 Reviews
Mahe Island, Seychelles
Moyenne Island
Moyenne Island
272 Reviews
Mahe Island, Seychelles
Anse Georgette
Anse Georgette
1,311 Reviews
Anse Lazio
Anse Lazio
3,289 Reviews
La Plage Restaurant
La Plage Restaurant
1,325 Reviews
Mahe Island, Seychelles
Beau Vallon
Beau Vallon
Mahe Island, Seychelles
Victoria
Victoria
Mahe Island, Seychelles
Anse Royale
Anse Royale
Mahe Island, Seychelles
Anse Takamaka
Anse Takamaka
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to the Seychelles...Advice needed

Morning Miki,

Many thanks for your advice and tips for places to go!

I have been looking through other info and came across Teddy's glass bottom boat tours. Have you ever heard of them? Also is it better to book in advance or is it easy enough to do whilst there?

Thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Mark

Mentioned in this post
Teddy's Glass Bottom Boat
Teddy's Glass Bottom Boat
38 Reviews
Mahe Island, Seychelles
uk
Level Contributor
127 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to the Seychelles...Advice needed

hi mark we stayed at chepsted chalets last year it is very nice and we will see you there as we will arrive from la digue on the 12th nov

we only take uk pounds and change them at airport and us credit cards for resturants and withdraw from machines to get more cash

the drive up to chepsted is quite interesting

ray

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
6,148 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to the Seychelles...Advice needed

Hello Kerstin,

Yes I know Teddy Hoareau and we went with him on a day trip to St Anne MP for 85 euro pp (including the bbq lunch that we had on Round Island).

Just call them when you arrive there and set the day for your trip. They go out only if they have 8 people on the boat.

Miki

Mentioned in this post
Round Island
Round Island
Seychelles
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to the Seychelles...Advice needed

Thanks for the advice again Miki!

Ray - I shall see you on the 16th! Not long to go now.

And yes, I've heard about the drive up...

Is Chepsted easy to locate? Looking to drive from the airport.

Thanks

uk
Level Contributor
127 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to the Seychelles...Advice needed

hi if you look on chepsteds website there are directions but if you go from beau vallon along the coast past Hilton hotel don't take first turning on right as we did last year and end up in a building site much to the pleasure of the locals ( this road was put in after they wrote the directions I think ) but carry on to next road which has the local shop on the corner and has parking in front of it ( I think there was a sign on the main road here )of it you can drive past this so be careful and head up the hill and its signposted from then but smallish signs

7. Re: First trip to the Seychelles...Advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 06:20