We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very general ques for the experts!

Lancs, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Very general ques for the experts!

We are thinking about visiting SA in Sept 07, Johannesburg, Durban & Cape Town for the cricket. We haven't been before and would be on a budget. We could probably stay just over 2 weeks in total and wondered if you had any recommendations for places to stay/visit in the areas I have mentioned. Would we be better using a tour company or doing it ourselves? How do prices compare to the UK, i.e. food, beer, wine? We would like to include a safari if possible so where would be best? I am sorry this is vague but basically I would like to know as much as possible and then I can do some research from your suggestions. Thanking you in advance.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very general ques for the experts!

maccasjg

It's always going to be expensive to get to SA, but once you're there it can be quite inexpensive. Hotels, eating out etc. usually seems to work out cheaper than the UK equivalents.

For 23 nights in 2005 we budgeted £6500 and we uderspent by about £1200, but we had several expenses that you probably wouldn't incur. For 16/17 nights in October this year we're looking at £4000 budget for the two of us.

If you've a couple of hours to spend or are good at selective reading (i.e. filtering out the stuff you don't need), then you might find some interest in our trip report on www.avengerpenguins.com .

A few suggestions:

For Cape Town - Boulders Beach, Cape Point, all the well known touristy stuff, wine producers, Hermanus for the whales - hire car for a few days would be handy, especially if you're thinking of going to Hermanus and Cape Point.

For Durban - drive up to St. Lucia for a couple of nights - Google it - lots to do and more whales.

For Johannesburg - definitely Kruger NP - staying at the rest camps within the main national park. This is probably the best budget option for seeing lots of game.

Just a few ideas for starters. You'll get lots more. Enjoy the cricket.

London, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very general ques for the experts!

Agree with pandachris on places to visit. IMO it's often a bit of a cartel at major sporting events around the world - hotels tend to sell out to the 'official operators' and you end up not being able to get rooms and tickets etc. i experienced this both in SA and the caribbean.

However it also means that the sports operators do hold the hand with all the best hotels/events/tickets (generally), soid always recommend getting a quote from both a sports operator and a normal operator, then do a bit of work yourself online to see if you can beat it pricewise. But also worth bearing in mind that with all the transfers etc you need for the matches the operators are tops with this, as you might find yourself unable to get a 'decent' ride back to the hotel and be left to some dodgy 'taxi'!!!

Overall, you'll find SA much cheaper than here in the UK, especially food & drink...so ENJOY!!!

MarshyM

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Very general ques for the experts!

Hi

Went to SA in November 2006 and stayed at 2 self catering cottages in Cape Town.

1.Newlands cottage - Self contained cottage, walking distance to the Newlands Cricket Ground, Wonderful hosts.

2.Rondebosch - in a leafy part of Rondebosch, safe and wonderful hosts.

http://www.capestay.co.za/newlandscottage/

http://www.capestay.co.za/white%2Dcottage/

Also did a Safari in Chobe and Okavango Delta and used island safaris . see link: http://www.why.island-safari.com/

Costs were way below other tour operators.

Enjoy your time in SA.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,286 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very general ques for the experts!

Budget travelers should not be timid about using B&B's and Guest houses. Standards and hospitality are superb. capestay.co.za is a good resource, so is safarinow.com (that name is misleading - most of their hundreds of properties are not safari destinations). Find the cricket venues and use those communities as places where you might look for accommodation. I guess you have seen this site:

http://www.cricket.co.za/ Places very close to the venues will have probably raised their prices. Finding a spot centrally located might work. Everything consumable is cheaper than in the UK.

5. Re: Very general ques for the experts!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 21:19