We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money to take

UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
How much money to take

I have been advised that a limit of R5000 can be taken into S Africa. Can anyone advise if this is true please. Also, is this limit per person or per party.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money to take

NE44 - You may bring as much money as the UK will allow you to take out on a foreign vacation.... !

There is a limit on the notes that you are allowed to take OUT of the country ... [R500.00]

At todays exchange rate R500.00 will not get you very far ..

R500.00 = GBP 12.0424 / 11.5675 [ a mere GBP 41].

The exchange rate is very favourable for british tourists at the moment ... make the most of it - we have the most stunning country for you to explore.

UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money to take

Thanks for your help. However I have since found the answer to my question and it differs from your reply.

For anyone else reading this message, the information I found is as follows :

The import of Rand into South Africa is limited to 5000 Rand except from Lesotho, Swaziland and Namibia where there is no restriction. The limit on export of Rand is 500 Rand. There is no limit to the import of foreign currency eg. sterling, but the amount must be declared on entry. The export of this foreign currency is limited to the amount declared at import.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money to take

you can bring as many pounds as you like

you just cant bring rands back

UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money to take

Thanks again, I had realised that. I wanted to know the limit on the amount of Rand you can take into the country. I've now found the answer, 5000 Rand.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money to take

Obviously you can bring as many rands into the country in the form of travellers cheques as you wish.

If you brought in more than R5000 in rand notes I very much doubt if anyone will care. I have never heard of any persons wallet being searched at customs.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,149 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money to take

Unless you already have lots of Rand, why bother? You will almost certainly get a better exchange rate in SA than at home.

We might take about 50 quids worth with us, in case we need a little cash at the airport, but we probably won't spend any of it before we get to our first ATM.