We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Franschhoek- Wilderness

Kensington
Level Contributor
331 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from Franschhoek- Wilderness

I have found out since I arranged this trip that this is a rather long drive, but we are still going to try to do it. With the caveat that we do not want to dirve at night, we will leave early- about 8:00. What is the most direct route and how long to drive and , if there is time, what is the scenic route and how long will that route take? Thank you ,Zin

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Franschhoek- Wilderness

Hi

The distance from Franschoek / Wilderness is only 300km's so if you leave at 08:00 you can be there by 11:00 - so you have pleanty of time on your hands .

If I were you I would take the R62 route and you can explore Robertson , Worcester and Montagu to name but a few towns - all in a great wine area.

From the R62 you will join onto the N2 and the Wilderness is just up the road.

Have a great time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Franschhoek- Wilderness

Hi

Quickest Route: Leave Franschhoek on the R45 towards Villiersdorp. Before Villiersdorp, look out for the R43. This will bring you onto the N2 directly to Wilderness. Drive time is between 3-4 hours.

Scenic Route: You should have plenty of time to do route 62. Directions are as above, but instead of turning onto the R43, keep going through Villiersdorp towards Worcester. At the N15, take a right and you will be on "route 62". Give yourself around 8 hours so that you can do a few stops en route (plus lunch).

For a detailed map see: …safarimappers.com/routes/…elevationmap.aspx

For good info on route 62 see: www.route62.co.za

Regards

Lance

Kensington
Level Contributor
331 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Franschhoek- Wilderness

Thank you both so much. We obviously got the wrong info from tourists that have driven the route- maybe they forgot or got lost!!!!.The scenic drive sounds great and the map on the webstie was helpful. Zin

4. Re: Best route from Franschhoek- Wilderness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 11:21