We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copy of prescription

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Copy of prescription

The South African airport website says to have your prescription medications in their original bottle and to also have a copy of the prescription(s).

I don't know about other countries, but here in the U.S., our prescription information is printed on the label of the bottle and we are NOT allowed to have a copy of the paper prescription. I called and asked my doctor today and they said they wouldn't give the paper copy to me, that the bottle should be enough.

Is there a misunderstanding here?

Thanks.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Copy of prescription

Your prescription bottle with the label marked is all you need. They never even looked at mine. Remember to keep them seperate from your ziploc bag of 3oz liquids unless of course they are liquid. I did make sure that I did not have any loose asprin or anything that was not in an official bottle just to be on the safe side. S. African security was pretty lax...we all went marching thru with water bottles and etc. All of the above was looked at carefully when I departed thru US security and again in Frankfurt when getting on the SAA flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copy of prescription

Hello,

The same thing applies here (the prescription is printed on a label and stuck to the packaging. I've never had problems on any of my trips, but if you take any meds which might be considered controlled substances (normally this means painkillers) you may want to consider getting a doctor's letter. I've written a number of these and so far the only places which have asked for them are in the Middle East, but it's one area where it may be better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers,

Julian

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Copy of prescription

Thank you both.

Check that off the list!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Copy of prescription

In Austria it is like this that you hand over the prescription to the people in the pharmacy and then they give you the original package of medicine. But you do not have any proof of prescription...

Aspirin, Parcetamol, etc. we can buy without prescription - so will I get any problems carrying these in my luggage?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Copy of prescription

As far as entering South Africa is concerned my wife has blood-pressure tablet (2 varieties) we take malarone and doxycycline (anti-malarials) and always make up a small 'first-aid' bag with paracetemol, asprin, decongestants etc etc) We have never been stopped by any officials, customs or otherwise, on arrival (Immigration aside , but they are not interested in medicines etc.) I am quite sure that if you do by any chance get stopped, any genuine prescription medicines in their original packaging and/or normal paracetemol etc tablets would present no problem at all. South African customs/security are no way near as 'paranoid' as USA, UK, European - probably because the terrorist threat is not prevelant in SA.

6. Re: Copy of prescription

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 20:18