We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic

I'm travelling to Phinda Game reserve (all paid for in advance) and then on to Richards Bay and then on to Mauritius. Apart from GBP credit cards I plan to take some cash. Not counting ZAR which is most locally acceptable - euros USD or GBP?

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

In South Africa just draw Rands from the ATM's using your card.

In Mauritius, apart from Mauritian rupees, quite a few places charge in Euros.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
2,031 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

I too would use ATMs for Rands in South Africa.

For Mauritius, again use ATMs for rupees.

I did not think either countries would use sterling, dollars etc so readily as payment and if they did you will lose a lot in the conversion rate.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,663 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

I second the last poster. In Mauritius do not pay in euros as hotels make money by trying to charge in euros. Use Mauritian rupees.

Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

I suspect that the OP was asking about the best currency for exchanging, rather than paying for things. Could be wrong, though.

If so, I'd say Euros, if you have them. The £ has done rather badly on foreign exchange markets recently, the USD even worse. I wouldn't bother to change £s to Euros before travelling, though. You'll get hit for two lots of charge - unless you're using a Nationwide Flexaccount card.

Port Elizabeth
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

If you want to bring currency GBP is fine don't bother to convert to Euro's.

You can exchange them at any bank in SA, but ATM's are everywhere.

6. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 20:22