We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panorama Route--worth it?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Panorama Route--worth it?

Wife and I will be on our honeymoon for 12 days, and we have four or five days in between our 5-day safari (at Sabi Sabi) and our planned time in Cape Town and the winelands. It has been recommended that we spend this time driving the Panorama Route. Frankly, I don't know much about what there is to do on the Route, but I think it is essentially a scenic drive with red rock cliffs, mountains, waterfalls, etc. Now, I don't want to be presumptuous or rude, but we're from Colorado, and we have often visited places in Colorado, Utah and Arizona that feature what I think must be pretty similar scenery. If that is true, then wouldn't it be better for us to focus on the things we can't experience at home? I was thinking that we ought to do another safari elsewhere (Phinda or Shamwari) rather than the Panorama Route. Will I regret that decision? Thoughts?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
545 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panorama Route--worth it?

Having seen both the Grand Canyon and the Blyde River Canyon-- I agree that they are pretty similar. The Blyde is beautiful though with all of its red rock and greenery (although not as impressive in size as the Grand Canyon).

We only spent one afternoon seeing the canyon on a boat tour which was sufficient (we did not drive around the whole canyon which would have taken a whole day or two). I thought that the boat tour was neat since we got to see the BR canyon from the base (we saw the Grand Canyon from the top looking down). You can see my trip report for more details if you are interested. I posted a few pictures under my hotel review for Forever Resorts Aventura Swadini if you want to check out what we saw.

Since you are already doing a 5 day safari and you have several days to spare, you may want to consider a different part of Kruger to explore or consider another stop in Africa (such as Victoria Falls or Mauritius).