We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change birthdate on SAA airline ticket??

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Change birthdate on SAA airline ticket??

Hi,

I booked several tickets on SAA and accidentally forgot to put in my daughters birthdate. On the screen when I was filling out traveller information, it automatically had Jan. 1 1973 as everyone's birthdate. I changed mine and my husband's, but did not type in hers. Will it automatically print it as that birthdate or leave it blank?

If it has the wrong birthdate, can it be changed without a hassle?

Surely, I'm not the only stupid person out there who has ever done this?!

Any advice will be welcome. Many, many thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change birthdate on SAA airline ticket??

I would just call them.

I had to call Southwest Airlines once because I booked my ticket backwards---Las Vegas to Tampa instead of Tampa to Las Vegas (round trip). I felt so stupid but the man on the phone laughed and said tons of people do it. He fixed it right there on the spot for me.

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change birthdate on SAA airline ticket??

ca vol,

Thanks for the reply, but you won't believe what has happened. Turns out the missing birthdate is the least of my probems! I booked the tickets, thought all was well, then checked my credit card statement and saw there was a restriction on my account and I had no credit.

Called cr, card and found out my tickets didn't get purchased because I purchased them in SA without notifying cr. card co. Cr. Card Co. said my tickets hadn't been purchased and I'd have to redo them. Said they couldn't process the charges even though my account was now unrestricted.

So.. I rebooked, got better flight times, by the way, called SAA and they said yep, your flights are paid for. I was pretty proud of myself until today! Called cr. card co. to check on something else and found out that the FIRST set of tickets had been processed by SAA!! Then, in some computer glitch, they processed the same tickets again! I now have 3 sets of tickets (9 flights on each set) and I'm waiting for the resservation office to open ( 6amSA time) and hopefully I can get them to remove the 2 sets I don't need.

My luck, they'll probably remove the 1 set that I really want!!

What a nightmare! The cr. card co. has assured me I won't have to pay for the 2 unwanted sets even if SAA won't remove them. Said they'll dispute it and it won't cost me a penny. We'll see.

I hate to say things can't get any worse, but surely things will get better.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change birthdate on SAA airline ticket??

That is a pain, but credit card companies are good about not making you pay for things when there is a problem. I disputed a charge back in 1996 and Visa did not even challenge it. I got a refund right away.

So hang in there. It will all work out! At least you have a set of tickets with better times now...:)

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change birthdate on SAA airline ticket??

ca vol,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Hopefully, I can get this mess sorted out this evening. SAA reservations opens at 11pm my time so I'm going to try.

I keep telling myself that after it's all settled it will be for the best because the arrangements are better.

I'll keep you posted.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change birthdate on SAA airline ticket??

Hey, it could be worse. Three weeks before our trip, one of our flights from Kruger Nelpruit to Cape Town was on Nationwide Airlines. They were grounded. Safety issues---an engine fell off a plane! So our agent scrambled to get us a different flihgt on SAA at the last minute during peak season, all the while not knowing if our plane would be running when we got there so would we get a refund if they were back in the air? All worked out though and got the refund in February or so and the SAA flight was about $150 more for both of us. I was not about to get on an airline that was grounded by the gov't for safety reasons, even if they were back in the air.

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change birthdate on SAA airline ticket??

ca vol,

Can't say I blame you for that! Definitely worth the extra cost.

Will it be a problem for us to find out if any of our flight information changes before the trip, since I didn't book through an agent?

This has certainly been a difficult learning experience!

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change birthdate on SAA airline ticket??

Just make sure you take SAA contact info with you and confirm your flights 72 hours before each leg. I guess all airlines require this in SA or they CAN (not necessarily will) cancel your flights. This is why I was so stressed when I could not find a working phone on our trip (remember that from my trip report?). I wanted to confirm all the flights not because I was a worry-wart, but because I was told you have to there.

Bournemouth, Dorset
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change birthdate on SAA airline ticket??

Purrcy. SAA should issue you an e-ticket with all the info on it. We were even allowed to choose our seats when booking. This was from the UK though.

Anyway it will all turn out okay I'm sure.

Had trouble with my credit card being charged twice recently and it was all sorted by a couple of calls.

Have a good trip. We love KwaZulu Natal. Will be in SA Augst/September but mostly in the Cape. Can't wait

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change birthdate on SAA airline ticket??

can anyone confirm whether what ca_vol says is true about confirming 72 hours before each leg? i'm taking a couple of domestic flights while in south africa and that concerns me a little.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Change birthdate on SAA airline ticket??

That's what my agent at go2africa said. Whether it was "drama"/exaggerated or not, I don't know, but I certainly wasn't taking any chances.