We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4x4 vehicle hire - DriveSouthAfrica?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
357 reviews
Save Topic
4x4 vehicle hire - DriveSouthAfrica?

Hi,

We are travelling to Joburg in August 2008 and want to hire a 4x4. Rates with many of the big hire compnaies seem quite expensive.

Came across DriveSouthAfrica.co.za who have special winter rate of 770 ZAR per day (about £50).

Has anyone used them or know of any reason not to?

Thanks,

Liz Watson

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,093 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire - DriveSouthAfrica?

Are you driving somewhere that you HAVE to have 4x4? We drove virtually all over KwaZulu Natal last July (Hluhluwe-Imfolozi, Battlefields, Drakensburg) for 2 weeks and never needed more than our sedan. (Yes, some of the roads around the Battlefields would have been nice with a 4x4, but we could do them in our sedan.)

Mentioned in this post
KwaZulu-Natal
KwaZulu-Natal
South Africa
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire - DriveSouthAfrica?

We are birdwatchers, and are intending to drive up Sani Pass into Lesotho. I understand that they will not let you go beyond the SA border post if you do not have 4WD.

So yes, we feel we do need a 4x4.

Mentioned in this post
Lesotho
Lesotho
Africa
Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire - DriveSouthAfrica?

LizztheWhizz,

I haven't used either of these companies, but they've been recommended from people who have. One is AroundAboutCars and one is AfriCARHire. They're supposed to be quite reputable with good rates.

Hope this might help.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
240 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire - DriveSouthAfrica?

Thanks purrcy - I searched on aroundaboutcars in this forum and seems to be pretty negative.

Africars I have looked at, but very expensive.

Latest one I found is Felix car hire, even cheaper especially if you take out a separate car hire insurance policy to cover excess and damade to tyres etc.

Anyone ever used Felix or know anything good or bad about them? According to the website, they are an agent for Europcar, so can't be all bad?

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire - DriveSouthAfrica?

Some more companies to check with: http://tinyurl.com/3xopno

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire - DriveSouthAfrica?

LiztheWhizz,

Sorry for the poor quality of my information. Guess I won't be contacting either of those companies. I would be interested in who you choose.

We'll be in SA mid-Dec.

Many thanks for the information!

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire - DriveSouthAfrica?

Bushlore has good equipment and service.

8. Re: 4x4 vehicle hire - DriveSouthAfrica?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 00:16