We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with travel plans

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help with travel plans

2 women in their 50's, planning a first time trip to Africa in Sept or Oct of 2009. We would like to spend 3 days in Cape Town, see Victoria Falls and wildlife on a 14 day trip. We are more interested in seeing wildlife than luxury. Should we go to Kruger or Botswana? Or some time at both places? I would also like to ride an elephant.

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with travel plans

Just suggestions for your search....

Try Vic Falls from the Zambia side for two reasons - one, the obvious, secondly it's meant to be more scenic than touristy.

You can't ride elephants in Kruger; search for "elephant ride Botswana" on Google for more.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with travel plans

Thank you for your reply. It sounds like you have been to Africa many times. To see the Big

Five in Sept or Oct which parks do you think would be the best? Since our husbands do not want to come to Africa with us, do you think it is safe for us to rent a car in JBurg and drive to Kruger alone?

Boston...
Level Contributor
851 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with travel plans

If your main interest is to see wildlife, I would go to Kruger over Botswana--you can't beat it for the Big 5. The Okavango Delta is amazing, but more because it's a unique environment. I don't think Botswana's game parks (such as Chobe) can compete with Kruger. If you only have 2 weeks, I'd stick with South Africa and Vic Falls.

You could fly into Cape Town and spend a few days there (I'd probably make it more like 5, though, maybe take in some of the Garden Route and winelands), fly to Joburg, spend a night there, then rent a car and drive to Kruger. This drive is perfectly fine to do by yourselves; it's about 4 hours. The Lowveld is very beautiful but it will be getting hot by October; daytime temps when I was there in Oct. often reached mid30s. From Kruger airport you could fly to Livingstone, Zambia, for Vic Falls. I saw the Falls from both sides and I actually think Zim is more scenic, since you can walk along the entire length of the gorge, but I don't think that's an option right now.

I've never heard of places that give elephant rides in Africa. I suspect that's more an Asian (Thailand) thing.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with travel plans

Thank you for your information. What time of year have you been to VFalls? I was wondering if it is worth even going there in Sept/Oct due to dry season.

Illinois
Level Contributor
310 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with travel plans

daytontraveler,

Sounds like you're going to have a great time.

Check out Addo Elephant Park, near Port Elizabeth which is near the northern end of the Garden Route. I'm sure you can ride elephants there.

Have fun!!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
388 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with travel plans

Hello

We travelling to Capetown, Kruger area and Victoria Falls next month.

I've just arranged an elephant ride trip for whilst we're staying at Victoria Falls, on the Zambia side. If you need any more info/contacts, let me know.

fj

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with travel plans

Have a wonderful trip. I wish I was going so soon! Let me know what you think of the elephant ride.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
388 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with travel plans

I shall bore you and everyone else rigid with a detailed trip report when I get back!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
252 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with travel plans

Don't miss the helecopter flight over the falls (We went from the Zambia side too but the flight gave us the chance to see both sides) and if the falls are still low at that time do the swim to the edge. It is just amazing, first swimming in the Zambezi (I can't believe I did that) and then sitting in the pool on the edge watching the guides do backflips on the edge. Still sends shivers down my spine two years later.... (Don't be put off, I'm a chicken and I managed it). We didn't do the elephant ride, though I had intended to, will try in Thailand this year.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
388 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with travel plans

Mandy

I really hope we can swim at the edge of the falls in July, but it depends on the water level. What time of the year were you there?