We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garden Route - is 2 days long enough?

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Garden Route - is 2 days long enough?

Hi hope someone can help me on this....We are planning to spend 8 days in Cape town at Christmas (18-26th Dec), then move on from CT to Oudtshoorn (in one hit) stay a night there, then next day drive on to Port Elizabeth and stay there one night...then onto Safari for 5 days....

Do you experts out there think that is long enough? We really wanted a chill in CT, and do days out from there, hence the longer stay, but now I am concerned that we might miss out on some stuff on the Garden route, should we reduce CT by a couple of days?....(The only issue we may have is that our stretch in CT was from 18 Dec until the 26th...so not sure if we would get accommodation anywhere on route if we left CT on 24th? (we need to leave PE at 9.30am on 28th for our flight to Jo'berg)

thanks in advance

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garden Route - is 2 days long enough?

Hello,

I do think the spread no very balanced. Unless you want to do something specific in CT (clubbing,etc) I think 8 days is too much. I have spend 6 nights in CT and could have reduced it to 4-5. Don't get me wrong, it's a great city, but there is more to see.

Adding days in either Francchoek or Garden route would be a good thing. Garden route beaches will bebeautiful during that time of the year.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garden Route - is 2 days long enough?

I agree- 8 days in CT is a lot, and I would recommend cutting some time off there. However, being around Christmas I can understand the issue with accommodation.

Any particular reason you are planning to go to Oudtshoorn? Is it just for the scenic drive? Or do you want to do something particular there?

If its just the drive, then your trip is possible. But both days will be a long drive (about 6 hours) so you wont have much time to stop and see stuff.

If you want to do/see something in Outshoorn, then I would recommend staying there for 2 nights. That will give you a full day to drive there, a full day to do whatever it is you want to do, and a full day to get to PE.

Another option is to stay in the George area of the garden route for 2 nights - you have to go via George to get to Outshoorn anyway. Leave Cape Town, spend 1 night in Mossel Bay/ George - which is only 4 hours from CT, giving you the whole day to take a leisurely drive. Then you could drive inland to Outshoorn for a day trip (about 2 hours one-way) and spent that night in either George/Wilderness/Knysna. That also means you only have to spend 1 night less in CT, and wont have to drive more than 4 hours on any one day.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garden Route - is 2 days long enough?

Hi I would recommend that you reduce your stay to 6 days, there will still be plenty of time to relax and to make day trips to Stellenbosch, Franschoek and the Paarl valley. . It is definitely the most beautiful time of year around Cape Town. Why do you want to stay over in Oudtshoorn, if I were you I would drive from Cape Town to wilderness or knysna and stay at least 2days in that area. From there P.E is an easy driving distance. You should however not waste anymore time to book as that time of year all these destinations are extremely popular.

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garden Route - is 2 days long enough?

Wow, thanks for the responses folks....

To be honest no particular reason for Oudtshoorn - just that it seems halfway between CT & PE...

I do really fancy Kynsa but I thought it was too far in one day?

If we leave CT on the 24th (rather than 26th) I guess we need somewhere that would take us for 1 or 2 nights and in reality I'm wondering who would take us for 1 night on Xmas eve?? most places I would guess would want at least a 2 night stay..?

I'm a bit confused about the Wilderness/Kynsa area...

So if I can get the accommodation -

6 nights CT (leaving 24th) drive to Mossell bay, 1 night?, then drive to Kynsa on 25th 2nights there leaving on 27th then drive to PE for the night??

Must admit your ideas sound better...my hubby booked it and as I haven't been well he just thought that a long rest in CT would be best but now I'm feeling better I am interferring!! Just some of the places as you say in Kynsa look lovely

Bournemouth, Dorset
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garden Route - is 2 days long enough?

We have driven Cape Town to Knysna in one (long) day.

Even took in a quick trip to the Cango Caves. As I say it was a long day. If you did it you could then base yourself in Knysna for 3 nights and take trips out from there.

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garden Route - is 2 days long enough?

Oh, ok Vipa.....long day sounds long!!!

Perhaps we should just miss Oudtshoorn and do the Mossel Bay and Kynsa pieces...

all best laid plans and all that....

decisions decision - but better get booking me thinks!!

thanks for advice all......

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garden Route - is 2 days long enough?

Have a look at this site to help you plan the driving times (with a little extra for traffic jams in tourist towns?) www.shellgeostar.co.za

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Garden Route - is 2 days long enough?

Both Knysna and Oudthoorn is about the same distance, it would take you around 4h drive to get to Oudthoorn and about 5 to Knysna. The total distance from Cape town to P.E is about 750km (7h drive. You have two options:

1. To drive to Montagu and spend 1 night and then from there go to Oudtshoorn and spend a few days there. Oudthoorn is situated in the klein karoo and there is alot to see from ostrich show farms to the cango caves. From there you can visit George and Victoria and Herolds bay. Then go on for a few nights to Plettenberg bay and Knysna.

2. To take the coast road and spend a night in Arniston/Waenhuiskrans which is only a 2h drive from cape town. From there go on to wilderness/sedgefield for 2 nights. From there knysna is only an hour drive where you can spend a few nights. When you are driving from there to P.E make sure you stop at Stormsriver.

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Garden Route - is 2 days long enough?

Thanks again folks...thought I had made my mind up last night...spent a LONG time looking through old threads etc...but now not sure...This WAS last nights plan....

Will prob reduce CT to 6 days (from 8) as everyone has suggested

SO

CT 6 days (leaving 24th Dec)

Was thinking about Mossell Bay 1 night leaving xmas day to go onto Kynsa for 2 nights.

We are then at PE for 1 night to catch flight to Jo'berg for 1 night prior to Krugar.

SO

do you think Mossell Bay and Kynsa is a good plan (that is really the only piece we can change)...but I sort of got to that decision after everyones comments HOWEVER I'm still wondering if the drive to Oudtshoorn (from Cape Town) is more scenic than from CT to Mossell bay.....

ALSO of course it depends on if I can get accommodation in Mossell & Kynsa (as Mossell bay will be just 1 night over xmas time...and I know alot of places want more than 1 nights booking)....

Basically I'm just rubbish at making decisions and don't want to miss anything!!

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Garden Route - is 2 days long enough?

Hi there !

Lots of advice ... here is mine for what it is worth !

Firstly, Cape Town. 5-6 nights is fine - there is such a lot to see and do you certainly won't get bored - Table Mountain, Robben Island, a township tour, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, day trip to the Winelands, day trip down to the Cape Peninsula via Boulders Beach ... not to mention just relaxing and shopping at the V&A Waterfront !

The drive to Oudtshoorn will take about 5 hours via Route 62, which is the tourist route that meanders between Cape Town and Oudtshoorn, offering the scenic alternative to the N2 highway. It really is a beautiful drive - I have done it, so can speak from personal experience.

I would say one night in Oudshoorn is adequate - again from personal experience ... when we got there we just relaxed in our guest house (there is nothing to see in the town really !), and then in the morning, we drove up to the Cango Caves (make sure you check the times tho of the trips into the caves, and plan around this), and then stopped at an Ostrich Farm on the way back ... and we were then done !

I would then say drive down to Knysna for a couple of nights. The Garden Route is beautiful, and there are loads of highlights - forest walks, Elephant sanctuaries, beaches ... and everyone you meet on safari afterwards will tell you about all the things you SHOULD have seen and done - so you might find it frustrating if you miss this part of the country out ! To get to Knysna from Oudtshoorn will be about a 2 hour drive.

From Knysna to PE is then about 3 hours ... and you could stop on the way at Tsitsikamma National Park (about 90 minutes away) and enjoy a couple of hours walk here so you really can then say you have 'done' the Garden Route !

My only comment is do please get this booked up sooner rather than later ... especially in Knysna, a lot of the places are already fully booked over this period.

Hope this hasn't added to your confusion !

Regards,

Tracey