We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Cash Into South Africa

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Taking Cash Into South Africa

Hello;

A while back I read about a limit on the amount of rand an individual is allowed to take into the country. Is this still the case and if so how much per person?

If we take more does it get confiscated?

Thanks in advance.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Cash Into South Africa

I am not sure of the current regulations but I can think of no good reason for wanting to take rand into South Africa. We have been going there for many years and normally you get about and between 5% - 10% more changing your money/travellers cheques or withdrawing from an ATM in SA than in the UK. At the moment you would get around R14 - £1 in the UK but R15 - £1 in SA. There are banks and ATM's in the arrivals terminal in both Cape Town and Johannesburg Airports so however you obtain your rands my advice is to do it in SA. Incidentally, if you have a Nationwide Debit Card you pay no fees or commission on transactions abroad. You can open a Nationwide Flex Account and they issue you with a card, takes about 3 weeks to set up - they are the only company who offer FREE transactions abroad as far as I know.

Enjoy your trip.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Cash Into South Africa

taking out is a bigger problem and they will confiscate (speaking from experience)

In, you have to answer how you got it and prove it

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Cash Into South Africa

Your allowed 5000 ZAR on entry.

Enough to manage a half day until you reach an ATM;-)

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Cash Into South Africa

Unless you're into some dodgy money deals the question has to be why bother?! We are here at the moment and are happily using the ATM network (they're everywhere and giving by far the best deal - about 2 ZAR to the pound more than "no commission bureau de change"). As for R5000 it would last me ages as most things can be paid for with a credit card.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking Cash Into South Africa

Even if I was involved in some dody money scam I'd hardly advertise that fact here! More a case of wanting to make sure we have enough cash for petrol and anything else that needs that method of payment.

I like to pay for meals in cash as much as possible as my parents used to own a restaurant and when credit / debit card payments are made, they have to pay a small percentage of the bill to the credit card companies. I know it's a small amount but it made a difference to my folks back then so I feel for other restaurateurs. Also I like to tip in cash because of the whole hoo ha in the UK about largerestaurant chains not sharing the tips with the waiting staff when the gratuity is made on the card.

I know, I know it's a lot simpler to pay by card when abroad an on holiday so yes I will limit my cash transactions and yes I will be using my Nationwide debit and credit cards and will withdraw when I get there.

Incidentally though, I exchanged some £ into ZAR couple of months back and got 16 Rand to the pound via Travelex so that's got to be good right? It's about 14 now so even if the rate is better when in South Africa by a few Rand it's still good. I guess if by the time we go, the rate is back to that 16 level then I'll be even happier!

Hampshire, England
Level Contributor
66 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking Cash Into South Africa

Use the new Abbey zero card it is even better than Nationwide as there are no charges for taking out cash advances from an ATM

7. Re: Taking Cash Into South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 11:18