We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg airport questions

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Johannesburg airport questions

Hello,

We will be arriving on an international flight into JNB airport and so will our daughter. She will arrive a few hours before us.

We will not have any checked luggage. Will we get off the plane and go through customs first?

Will she be able to meet us at our gate when we arrive? We've never been to this airport or gone through customs.

I'm just wondering where she will be able to wait for us.

Many kind thanks to anyone who is familiar with this airport and can inform us about their procedures.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Johannesburg airport questions

If you are travelling with hand luggage only, you will be able to get off the plane, pass through immigration and then go directly through customs. No hanging around in the baggage hall - bliss!

By meet you at your gate I assume you mean before you all go through immigration. I don't generally think this is possible as some of the areas are separated off. There are no facilities in baggage/customs either; the idea is to get you through and out as quickly as possible. There are restaurants etc in the public areas of the terminal and she will be able to meet you as you come out of customs. If you're picking up a hire car she could perhaps do this while she waits. Are you using a local hotel on arrival or going straight on somewhere?

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Johannesburg airport questions

Sorry, chopped a bit off. Seems ages since you started planning doesn't it? If you're still planning to stay in the Jo'burg area, your daughter could get a shuttle to the hotel, check in and relax!

All of that said, we sometimes fly separately but due to delays, changes etc, don't always arrive in the order planned.

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Johannesburg airport questions

safarifiend,

We're staying 1 night at a hotel then flying to Nelspruit the next day to begin our safari!!

You're right about it seeming like we've been planning for a long time!!!!

I'm going to get a Vodaphone (she already has one) so we will be able to contact each other in case we have a flight delay, etc.

We haven't seen her for a year and can hardly wait!

Thanks for your help!

johannesburg
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Johannesburg airport questions

Johannesburg airport has two terminals for international arrivals, terminal A and terminal B. It would therefore depend on which terminal you would be exiting. If I was you I would rather arrange to meet up with each other outside one or other of the terminals. Both terminals are on the same level in the same building and only about 80 metres or so from each other. Exit Terminal B is normally a little quieter than A so maybe make arrangements to meet there just next to the money exchanges.

5. Re: Johannesburg airport questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 12:21