We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation needed: car hire 1 way CT - Jo'berg

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation needed: car hire 1 way CT - Jo'berg

Can anyone recommend a care hire company where i can hire a care for a one way journey from Cape Town to Johannesberg, via Port Elizabeth. I may possibly take the car into Krger NP as well.

Alternatively, we could hire a car from CT then drop it at PE, fly to Jo'berg and drive again to Kruger.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
817 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation needed: car hire 1 way CT - Jo'berg

Last time I was in CT we hired a car from the people at the email below. They were very efficient and I can recommend them.

Your planned route via PE is a lovely journey - perhaps excluding the middle bit (N1 north of Colesburg to Jo'burg) which goes through some uninspiring scenery. Once past Jo'burg though it gets better as you head towards the Kruger. I'd drive it all if I was you so you're not hastled by dropping off car, battling through airports and then getting another car.

BTW, make sure your chosen hire companies insurance cover includes travelling on gravel roads such as you'll encounter in the Kruger.

Contact David A Nurick at

webmaster@southafrica-carhire.com

London England
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation needed: car hire 1 way CT - Jo'berg

I normally use Hertz or Avis as I find some of the smaller firms try to charge a one way hire - this you can arrange from the UK and you can prepay You also have ethe back up of their nationwide depots as opposed to some of the smaller companies

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation needed: car hire 1 way CT - Jo'berg

We use a broker to do all of the legwork such as

http://www.cartrawler.com/news.asp based in Dublin.

We've always ended up with one of the nationals (Avis, hertz, Europcar). We usually compare our deal with their standard rates and have always found them significantly cheaper. We always make a point of checking the terms and conditions of rental too.

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation needed: car hire 1 way CT - Jo'berg

Many thanks for all your responses. After a bit of research, I may go with one of the big companies such as Budget or Avis.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,039 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation needed: car hire 1 way CT - Jo'berg

www.avis.co.za is an easy site to use to get a quote. You enter Cape Town as your pickup point, Johannesburg as your dropoff point - choose a class of car - and it will tell you the cost. The International Visitor Special does include full insurance cover on the car.. though my saying that may start a new thread about whether it really does or not. If you will be there through the hotter months, the least expensive model with A/C Avis rents is the VW Polo Playa, Group B. With automatic transmission, Group D, the Polo Classic. Actually, the Group M Hyundai Atos might be cheaper than the Playa - but it is a tiny little car. Scary tiny.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation needed: car hire 1 way CT - Jo'berg

My husband and I recently hired a car and drove from Cape Town to PE, picked up another car at Durban Airport & drove through Swaziland, Kruger Park & back to Jhb.

The car rental company was very competitive, didn't charge for a second driver or driving in Swaziland as some others do.

They upgraded us to a four wheel drive vehicle in Durban but we decided after a day that the fuel consumption was too much and asked for a replacement smaller vehicle. This was done within 2 hours.

Would use this company again without hesitation

....http://www.firstcarrental.co.za

7. Re: Recommendation needed: car hire 1 way CT - Jo'berg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 00:17