We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigars?

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Cigars?

I heading to Cape Town, Jo0burg, vic falls (zam)and Chobe next week. I got a cigar humidor for Christmas and need to fill the thing, prefereably with a few cubans. Reading up a little, it appears the taxes on tabbaco is really high in S. Africa, is this true? I was hoping to get Cubans at a dirt cheap price... Or at least some cigars without any taxes. Anyone have any insight on this or are there any cigar shops that will do in my other destinations?

Thank!

-Jason

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cigars?

Hi Jason,

I don't know much about the subject (hubbie has the odd one), but I have purchased cigars a number of times before in SA. Of course, in order to answer you completely, I would need to know the pricing of cigars over there (assuming also that you are unable to get hold of cubans still?), so I am unable to give you a comparison.

What I would say though, to buy cigarettes in duty free, is often much more expensive than in the shops. Whilst our taxes are high on tobacco (what country isn't?) you will find it still very cheap to the dollar. There are good cigar shops in most malls in Cape Town and cubans are readily available. We bought cigars in bulk (for our wedding) before, all cuban different varietals, and we found it very inexpensive.

Also, most restaurants/bars that are of a certain level will stock them too, although this would be a very expensive way to stock up! But just in case you need to end your meal with one...

Have a look at: http://www.cigars.co.za/

Maybe you will get a better idea of pricing there.

Remember you will also be able to claim back your VAT on any purchases over a certain amount (you would need to confirm that amount) when you leave the country.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cigars?

Thanks for the link! It seems like cigar prices are quite high compared to the states. Im sure these are Cuban and that has an effect on price. Some of the brands I find for around $110 USD here seem to be $190USD on the website. Booo, I guess my hopes of cheap cubans are squashed. Thanks for the help though!

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cigars?

jason,

cuban cigars are available in south african but you would have to smuggle them back into the US as they are illegal here. this would expose you to some risk.

there is department of homeland security brochure on the DOHS web site you can print off to read about this sort of stuff.

craig beal - owner - travel beyond

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cigars?

I made it a point to look for cigars in Cape Town last year, and did not find much of interest. The good news is that a limited selection was found at several bars/pubs. I came across one store at the waterfront that had a very modest humidor. The prices seemed consistent with UK prices, so I did not buy much. I did see an ad for a cigar store at one of the hotels, but I never went. On the other hand, towards the end of the trip I did find some hand rolled cigars at one of the shops in Kruger. They were expensive, but adequate for what I wanted (considering there was no alternative). In short, finding cigars is easy enough, but they are not cheap.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
611 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cigars?

Oh dear, sorry, well I suppose all that is imported is expensive. good luck though. I bought at a place in Constantia Village last time, but you seem to be a great deal more cigar orientated than us ;)

Mentioned in this post
Constantia
Constantia
Cape Town, South Africa
Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cigars?

So I looked around and found cigars here and there - they were quite expensive. S. Africa taxes tobacco pretty seriously and its based on weight. The place I found to buy cigars - the duty free shop in the Jo'burg airport had a great humidor and good prices. It still wasn't cheap but the duty-free markup was still about 30% cheaper than the price with taxes in Cape Town. I got online when I got home and they were still about 15% cheaper than I found on-line. Good deal.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
7. Re: Cigars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 04:16