We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from J'burg to Kruger NP??

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from J'burg to Kruger NP??

Hi everyone!! We're flying in to Johanesburg airport and need to get to Kruger NP. We're trying to decide how to get there. After spending a few days in Kruger NP, we're off to Victoria Falls. Would it be better to rent a car to drive to Kruger and back to J'burg or try to find a flight? Maybe a better question would be: is it safe to drive a rented car from J'burg to Kruger? Also, once there, can you drive yourself through Kurger NP? We're staying at a lodge in Sabi Sands.

Thanks for any advice!!!

Monica

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from J'burg to Kruger NP??

very safe, assuming you have no problem driving on the wrong side of the road

Easy drive down mostly major highway (sorta like driving from SLC to Vegas ;})

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
258 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from J'burg to Kruger NP??

Awesome!! Thanks for the quick reply!!!

Cheers!!

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from J'burg to Kruger NP??

hi there,

i did the drive twice in 2008 including three weeks ago. what lodge are you going to as it makes a difference in my answer? there is a very interesting thread by someone who is trying to drive to elephant plains that you might want to read. it was posted yeaterday or the day before. alternately, you can look at my forum posts in my profile and find the reponse to lead you to the thread. it is not possible to paste threads in here.

there are four gates to the sabi sands and each camp only has access to one or two at most. the most problematic gate to find is the gowrie gate which is for arathusa, djuma, and elephant plains.

craig beal - owner - travel beyond

4. Re: Drive from J'burg to Kruger NP??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 17:19