We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Drakensberg to Sabie sands

K.L
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Drakensberg to Sabie sands

I am touring South Africa and will be driving from Drakensberg to Sabie Sands and am looking for an interesting place to stopover as I understand it is too far to drive in one day. I will already be staying at Sabie itself on my way back to Johannesburg after Sabie Sands, Any suggestions?

Limpopo, South...
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Drakensberg to Sabie sands

Good day! I'm not sure from wher in the Drakensberg your journey to the SAbie Sands will start? However, from Ladysmith to the Southern entrance to the Sabi Sand game reserve, is less than 600 km. So even at a leisurely pace, it should not take you more than 8 or 9 hours, so you could do it in a day.

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
782 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Drakensberg to Sabie sands

I'd agree with SafariAdvisor that the drive can be done in one day.

And, most of the area you'd be driving through isn't too inspiring and not "touristy" at all hence not much in the way of attractions to distract you nor are there that many accomodation possibilities for tourists.

Only once you get into the Lowveld area would it be worth stopping, and you're doing that in Sabie on the way back.

Get a good night's sleep for an early start and get the drive over with in one day.

K.L
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Drakensberg to Sabie sands

Thanks a lot for the info. We are planning to stay 3 nights at Champagne Castle after having driven from Durban. We are travelling in August so am a bit concerned that it might be too cold for 3 nights in Drakensberg. The temperatures don't look too bad 5 - 20 deg C but the description say its bitingly cold! But there doesn't look like a better way en route to Kruger unless we fly straight from Port Elizabeth but seems a shame to miss out Drakensberg?

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
782 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Drakensberg to Sabie sands

Yes, it'll be cold at night, but Champagne Castle is an excellent choice of hotel and they have roaring log fires to keep you warm.

In August, you can expect that there'll be few clouds to spoil the views which are amazing.

And, in my opinion, three days at the hotel is just about right. Their food is excellent (mostly it's buffet style - you serve yourself from a huge selection) so over-eating is a potential risk! After three days you'll be ready for a bit less.

But, save room in the tummy for their home-made waffles with various sweet sauces - delicious!

K.L
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Drakensberg to Sabie sands

I will be driving from champagne castle.

6. Re: Driving Drakensberg to Sabie sands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 03:18