We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer - help with 10 day itenerary!

Hamilton, Scotland
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First timer - help with 10 day itenerary!

I am thinking about a 10 day trip in september ( is this a good time weather wise?) and have no idea where to start!

Ideally, a few days cape town, driving the garden route, maybe 1 or 2 stops near beaches and then a 3 night safari? I know that Shamwari and Kruger are option but not sure how to get back to cape town?

I am getting bogged down in options as id hate to make the wrong choices as i dont have very long.

The safari is important to me and the beach/relaxing/sites is important to my husband so any suggestions are very welcome. Ideally a couple of luxury places along the way would be great although i havent any idea of costs yet!

Many thanks

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
823 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer - help with 10 day itenerary!

Does your 10 days include the flights, or will you be in SA for the whole time? Dependant on your actual number of days here, you may want to limit your travelling around a bit as it's a vast country and if you try and see it all in a short time you'll not get to absorb anything.

By September, most of our winter's cold nights should be over but, like weather the world over, who can say for sure? Cape Town has winter rainfall whereas the Kruger, being in the north of SA, has it's rainfall in the summer. The beaches to the east of Cape Town have *much* warmer water than those to the west. The sea water on the Garden Route is a bit warmer, and around Durban it's even warmer because of tidal currents.

You could do the Cape Town area then drive up as far as Port Elizabeth, drop off the car and fly back to CT for your connecting flight home. Check the forum for safari possibilites.

Or you could fly into Durban then rest awhile on the beaches before going to one of KZN's game parks and the Drakensburg mountain area.

There's also the option of flying from CT up to the Kruger area for it's safari options then back to CT for your flight home (or you could fly into CT and back out from Johannesburg.)

As you say, there's a lot of options to get bogged down in. Unfortunately you're going to have to decide on a basic area and what budget you're trying to stick to. Once you have, let us know and we'll be able to advise you accordingly.

2. Re: First timer - help with 10 day itenerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 09:25