We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest internal flights in South Africa

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest internal flights in South Africa

What are the cheapest internal flights in South Afica

Hi

Me and my wife are travelling to South Africa in April, and will be looking to travel at some stage between Johannesburg and Cape Town and probably Cape Town and Durban.

I have checked various websites, and most internal flights have seemed quite expensive. Could anyone recommend a website through which we are most likely to find cheaper flights? We have checked main providers like South African Airways, BA and Kulula.com. Alternatively, can it be cheaper to book flights via telephone or e-mail? Is the train a cheaper and convenient option?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Best wishes

Richard

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest internal flights in South Africa

Yes you are right really cheap internal flights have not yet reached SA on the Ryanair / Easyjet model (£5 flights!).

To be fair the distances are pretty far compared to Europe - Cape Town to Joburg is about the same as London to Sicily.

There are however some mid cost airlines which give you better service than Ryanair but at a slightly higher base price :

1time is one of the cheapest - you do get prereserved seats, no extra charges for checked bagage, no credit card fees and reservation changes for around £7 each.

Return Fare CPT - JNB incl all taxes and fees range from around R1,300 (£90). Sometimes it is even as low as R800 (£50).

https://www.1time.aero/aqueduct/1time/Booking

You could also look at Mango

http://ww5.flymango.com/

Prices are very similar

As with all low cost carriers the cheapest rate is always booking direct on-line at the airlines website

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Johannesburg Intl Airport
Johannesburg, South Africa
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest internal flights in South Africa

www.kulula.com and www.1time.co.za run specials and the cheapest flights depend on the days and time you fly.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,165 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest internal flights in South Africa

I answered this on your other post. Flights are much, much cheaper if bought at the same time and with the same carrier as your international flights.

Ask someone like Trailfinders how much it would cost to add a CPT-DUR flight to your main tickets. I'd guess around £50, or less.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest internal flights in South Africa

It is not necessarly the case that a single carrier booking is cheaper. Of course it depends on the dates. But, as a simple excercise I just priced up the following LHR-JNB April 1 / JNB-CPT April 4 / CPT-LHR April 9. Randomly picked dates in April.

To book this as a single routing from the UK the cheapest is SAA which is £734. BA is more expensive.

To book the International part on SAA LHR-JNB and CPT-LHR costs £655. 1time JNB-CPT on April 4 is R699 or £48. Total Price £703. In this case £30 cheaper. If you add more legs eg LHR-JNB-CPT-DUR-JNB-LHR it will be even cheaper in comparison.

However there are also other advantages. Booking a 1time flight for tommorrow Feb 7th, is exactly the same price R699. This means that you can book your International Flights. Come here and have the flexibility of picking the day for your transfer. Alternatively if pre-book your 1time ticket it can be changed for a fee of less than £7. To do this on an International ticket from SAA or BA will cost at least £50. Of course, in this specific case, Richard may already have booked his international flights when they were cheaper. Now all he needs to do is add the cheapest local flights.

As I said different dates may come up with different prices but in general booking your domestic flights separately on a local low cost airline will normally prove cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg, South Africa
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
904 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest internal flights in South Africa

We recently purchased 5 roundtrip tickets from Jo'burg to Cape Town for June. After checking all the domestic airlines, we purchased all 5 for R6975 (or about $700 USD) on 1Time. This was the lowest price we could find at that time.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
6. Re: Cheapest internal flights in South Africa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 18:20