We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plug Sockets/Travel Adaptors

Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Plug Sockets/Travel Adaptors

I am from the UK travelling out to SA. What sort of travel adaptor do I need? I have seen ones marked "Continental" but on the back of the packet SA wasn't mentioned. Thanks in advance!

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
824 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plug Sockets/Travel Adaptors

The SA plug is about the same orientation as the UK one (three prongs in a traingular formation) but the prongs are round.

UK to SA adaptors are available here in most supermarkets and elecrical stores / do-it-yourself shops like Pick 'n Pay, Mica, Checkers. (Shops in SA airports also have them.)

For camera / phone chargers (small, two pin types) there's also an adaptor available from the same shops.

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Plug Sockets/Travel Adaptors

You are definitely better to wait and buy them out there. They were difficult to find in England and were very expensive especially at Heathrow Airport.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,217 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Plug Sockets/Travel Adaptors

You can get an SA plug adapter before you come from Amazon:

This is the one you need. It costs £1.47 :

Here in Cape Town these are around R50-60 (£4+). One extra tip. I am ex-UK and live in Cape Town and find I never have enough adapters - you always want to use the toothbrush while your partner wants to charge their phone or use the Hair Dryer! Before you come, look in your garage or kitchen cupboard and find a standard UK four or six way adapter. Stick it in you case. Either buy a single SA/UK adapter and plug the Multi-Way into this or (even cheaper) disconnect the UK mains plug from the multi way. When you arrive in SA just buy a single standard plug from any supermarket or store (R6-8), attach to the cable and voila, you now have 4 (or 6) UK sockets you can plug in anywhere.

All UK appliances, chargers etc work fine here.

I am sure you'll have a great holiday.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Plug Sockets/Travel Adaptors

BTW - as you see from the picture the adaptor on Amazon also takes the SA two pin plugs that RacingRog mentioned

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plug Sockets/Travel Adaptors

I can send you descriptions with pictures of the plugs you will find in SA.

Eko Tracks

6. Re: Plug Sockets/Travel Adaptors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 05:32