We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding with a lion, puma or cheetah

salsameisje
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Topic
Wedding with a lion, puma or cheetah

Hello,

Next year we will be planning a trip through SA and we want to do a wedding ceremony just me, my husband and our daughter from 10, no guests.

And my husband (to be) had the briljant idea of him walking up to me with a lion, puma or cheetah on a leech.

I have no idea or clue where in Africa we can do that.

Who can help me with the silly idea's of my daydreaming husband, hahaha.

Regards Maria

cape town
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding with a lion, puma or cheetah

Hi Maria

To your daydreaming husband! - there is a place!

Its called Moholoholo, and they do hold weddings there. have a look at www.saweddingvenues.com/moholoholo.aspx. Moholoholo is an animal rehabilitation centre and they do have cheetah. I dont know how up close and personal you can get with them, but contact them for details.

We dont have pumas in South Africa. I dont know any place where you could lead a lion either.

For a close experience with elephants have a look at

www.elephantsanctuary.co.za/hazyviewabout.htm

Good luck with your plans!

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding with a lion, puma or cheetah

Or how about realising that a wild animal doesn't belong on a leash...

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding with a lion, puma or cheetah

As a wedding planner I don't even know where to begin with that idea. I agree with the previous poster. These animals are not there for stunts and effects. Enjoy them in their natural habitat, not as a gimmick on a leash for amusement. If you want to get close to them, then try volunteering in or visiting a rehabilitation centre.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding with a lion, puma or cheetah

DoroM...well put. I could not have said it any better.

A lion/cheetah are wild anilmals and wild animals are very unpredictable even when they have been reared in captivity and with humans attending to their needs.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding with a lion, puma or cheetah

We got married last year with a herd of elephants as our guests. It was great. Check out our review and pictures of Camp Jabulani...it's a day we will never forget...and we got some great pictures to remind us. After the wedding we rode off into the sunset on the back of the elephant.

Good luck in finding your dream.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding with a lion, puma or cheetah

''Or how about realising that a wild animal doesn't belong on a leash...''

Exactly.

Perhaps more of us should appreciate wild animals where they belong.Wild.And not tamed to perform for us.

At an animal sanctuary, in Namibia last month, we were able to pat tame cheetah but I couldn't help thinking that they truly deserve a place in the wild.Sadly cheetah are still seen as vermin by many farmers who don't hesitate to shoot them.

Unfortunately that may leave motherless cubs, which will be taken in by the Sanctuary.However once habituated to humans they may never aquire the skills needed to allow them to survive wild.

As for children around even the tamest of cheetah, they may still view a small child as fair game.

salsameisje
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding with a lion, puma or cheetah

Hi Barryozed,

Where can I find your pictures?

I'm very anxious to see them.

salsameisje
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding with a lion, puma or cheetah

Hello everyone,

I think I must agree with you all that my husbands Idea is not such a good one. You are right about that animals shoudn't be put on a leach and that they are still unpredictable.

I would never forgive myself if my little girl gets hurt. So he will probably have to settle with an elephant as a witness.

Regards Maria

London, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding with a lion, puma or cheetah

Good to know that you decided against it!

Wild animals stay wild animals...even if they are in captivity. As you said, they are unpredictable...but also, they are simply not meant to be on a leash... period!

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding with a lion, puma or cheetah

Firstly I thought you were kidding....but I now realise you are not. Africa is not a circus to parade animals on a leash. Do something worthwhile like sponsor an animal for rehab or volunteer as has already been suggested.