We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes & personal hygiene

England
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
mosquitoes & personal hygiene

Hi guys,

Im travelling to SA for the first time with my husband next month & just wondered if anyone could offer advice on the following:

Is it ok to wear perfume as well as deoderant on safari?

Im just thinking perhaps its better just to wear normal deoderant as the mosquitoes might be attracted by my perfume?

Or is there any particular scented product I could buy to keep them away?

I was thinking about buying some repellant - sleepright or sleeptight whatever its called when we arrive in SA as I think local products will be more effective than what we can get in UK

Any advice would be most apprieciated :-)

Cheers

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes & personal hygiene

I am pretty sure the mozzies are not attracted to perfume, I can't say for sure, but I do not think it will be a problem. i wore perfume on safari because I feel naked without it. The local products are TAbard or peaceful sleep.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes & personal hygiene

I don't think perfume will have much effect on mossies. But I do think that perfume has no place on a safari. If you imagine that many animals will smell normal human smells from several hundred metres away, how much more do you think they respond to perfume pervading the nice clean air around them.

There're are enough beautiful natural smells around you in the African bush, particularly in springtime, that perfume would simply be an intrusion. You also don't want your fellow safari goers having to smell you all the time. The fresh air heightens every sense multi-fold.

If you want to stay dry and fresh, use an odourless deodourant. There are many natural insect repellants available, and I agree that you can buy some really effective ones locally.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoes & personal hygiene

There is absolutely no problem is wearing some understated perfume. I would never go anywhere without it either. As long as you do not douse yourself in it, it is ok. Deoderant is in my opinion essential, unless of course you are one of the lucky ones that does not perspire. And it can get hot on the safaris is summer while you are on a game drive.

Don't worry and enjoy

nyc
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoes & personal hygiene

Africa is the only place where I do not use scented products - deodorant, perfume or body lotion - no one has turned up their nose to me yet :).

This is not so much for the animals, but often being in close contact with others especially on game drives.

There are plenty of unscented products available.

You can certainly use scents if in Capetown or Johannesburg, but there are plenty of "light" body lotions that work as well or better then a liquid eau de whatever or parfum!

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitoes & personal hygiene

If you're looking for naturally scented products that act as insect repellants, try to get lotions with citronella and/or lemongrass.

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Wisbech, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitoes & personal hygiene

Hi,

Just to let you know I have found Tabard on the internet from Midge Store and have some already as we won't get time to shop locally beforehand.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitoes & personal hygiene

I found a range of toiletries in SA with natural mossie repellants in. These included shower gel and soap. Can't remember their name but will try to find out.

No deodorant for me. Lanacane medicated powder does feet, arm pits, under the boobs and all of those little sweaty places! It's corn flour based and very absorbent. No B.O. but the sweat still gets a chance to help keep you cool. I'm sure you're not a splash it on babe. One of the worst experiences I can think of on safari was sitting with someone who kept spraying themselves with Lynx rather generously. I want to smell the animals , vegetation, etc thank you.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitoes & personal hygiene

perhaps TMI about Lanacaine but thanks for reminding ANYONE that fragrances can be quite offensive to otehrs (even non-allergic folks)

No one's fragrance should arrive 5 minutes before they do, but frequently that's the case!!

England
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquitoes & personal hygiene

Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses, I didnt even think of the impact on game drives

Im going to look for some natural products maybe purchase some locally

I might take a small atamoiser of perfume just to freshen up before evening dining :-)

Thanks very much to all :-)

10. Re: mosquitoes & personal hygiene

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 04:47