We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Virgin - advice needed!

NC
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Safari Virgin - advice needed!

Hi Everyone,

As part of an Around the World trip, I am planning to spend 2 weeks in South Africa: 4 days in Capetown, 3 in Kruger, 2 in Victoria Falls, and am looking for a wonderful safari experience for an additional 4 days or so.

Here are my concerns so far:

- It has been difficult to find a safe, relatively clean, highly rated safari (tent or lodge) that is at an affordable price. In addition, I will be going end of March/early April and have been told this is not the best time to view the big 5. Many of the higher rated safari lodges are in the range of $1000 per day plus (per couple). Due to my other travels, I want a great experience, but need to keep my costs manageable.

Any recommendations on a safari? Any locations or parks that you would recommend for game viewing in March/April?

Any other advice for my trip to South Africa?

Thanks very much for your help!

Felleng Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Safaris
Tim Brown Tours - Durban Safari Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Safaris, Day Trips
durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari Virgin - advice needed!

You could look at Kwazulu Natal Parks, Thula Thula, Bayete Zulu, Nyala all good value for money (ps not all of them have the big 5 but they do have lots game and often they can combine a drive in to Hluhluwe/Umfolozi park for big 5 viewing) www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari Virgin - advice needed!

Hi there! I don't agree that "March/early April ..is not the best time to view the big 5". If you go to a good private safari lodge like the lodges in the private reserves that form part of the Greater Kruger National Park (Sabi Sand & Timbavati), then in my experience Mch/Apr are great months! At these private lodges, the rangers & trackers are highly experienced and the game viewing vehicles that share the same game viewing traversing area are in radio contact with one another so that they can notify each other of sightings of the big 5 and other high profile animals.

Some of the good lodges have lowered their rates for the period 6 - 30 April 2010. Add to this a couple of special offers, and you could definitely get safe, clean, luxurious accommodation as well as excellent big 5 game viewing. To give you an example, a lodge like Ngala Safari Lodge in the Timbavati offers a great value for money big 5 safari. If you go between 6 - 30 April and your stay falls between a Sunday and Thursday night, you would pay R3025 per person per night, plus if you pay for 2 nights, you receive a 3rd night free. R6050 per person for a 3 night safari that includes all of your meals and local drinks as well as safari activities, is great value for money!

Good luck with your planning!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
725 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari Virgin - advice needed!

Check out the more economical lodges in Sabi Sand such as Elephant Plains, Nkorho, or Arathusa. We just returned from a great trip and stayed at both Elephant Plains and Nkorho, both wonderful four star lodges, and each around $400-$500 a day for a couple.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari Virgin - advice needed!

Hi - March/April should be a good time to visit, and as mentioned previously, if you are in a quality reserve with good guides and trackers sightings should excellent. This time of year will also have a temperate climate (pleasant crisp morning and will not have the high mid-day temperatures you will find in Dec/Jan.)

Add to the more affordable lodges list Chitwa Chitwa or Simbavati River Lodge

Marcus | South Africa 365

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
205 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari Virgin - advice needed!

We have just returned from fab stay at Arathusa. Brilliant experience and we were virgins too. Cant wait to go back.

6. Re: Safari Virgin - advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2010, 05:17