We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days road trip J'burg - Cape town And back

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
10 days road trip J'burg - Cape town And back

Will be in south africa next december and as with all my holidays be tight for time have really no interest in safari as i ve been before . Plan to drive to Cape town via Kimberly and then back again via The garden route , is ten days enough or would i need much longer

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days road trip J'burg - Cape town And back

Hi,

Cape Town to Johannesburg via Kimberley is a long and tedious drive without much scenic beauty.

Suggest you drive from Cape Town along the Garden Route to Port Elizabeth and stop at lovely places along the route. You can refer to previous postings on TA where to spend nights but I would suggest Oudtshoorn (1) Knysna (3), Storms River/Tsitsikamma (2). You could also consider flying back to Cape Town from Port Elizabeth; there are budget airlines that do this route (www.1time.co.za; www,kulula.com; www. flysaa.com and www.flymango.com).

You could also consider spending one or two nights in the Winelands and/or Hermanus area (whales).

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days road trip J'burg - Cape town And back

I fly in and out of j'burg how long would it take me to travel from there to cape town and back realisticaly, And which route would be best, or would i be much better to fly on to cape town and just travel back to J'burg via the garden route and on round the coast

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days road trip J'burg - Cape town And back

I would fly in to Cape Town and then travel to Port Elizabeth via the Garden Route. From there I would fly to Johannesburg or back to Cape Town.

Realistically it should take one and a half to two days to drive from Johannesburg to Cape Town. From Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg the distance is 1048 kms.

4. Re: 10 days road trip J'burg - Cape town And back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2010, 07:16