We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent or buy sat nav

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rent or buy sat nav

Hello

Renting a car for 17 days, told sat nav rental is R79 per day + fee total = R1358 would it be cheaper to buy one in Johannesburg or take the rental?

Got one spare day before picking car up staying in at Protea hotel wanderers, any nearby electric shops?

Would probably resell in uk to world cup fans as my car has built in sat nav.

Thanks Ray

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent or buy sat nav

When you rent a SatNav you probably get the cheapest model. TomTom One or Garmin equivalent.

Quickly checking on-line typical local price for a TomTom One is R1,399 including SA maps. So about the same - but you have a device at the end you can either use or sell on! So definitely an advantage.

But the best deal would be to buy in the UK . Doing a quick search I can find TomTom One on-line for £80 + £4.50 shipping = R1,014.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001XCWNMC…

This comes with full UK and Rep of Ireland maps. There is then a special offer for the South African Map of £29.95 (R360)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k327…

This gives a total price of R1,374 but this has the great advantage that this has available both UK and South African Maps which canbe switched from your computer. This makes it far easier to sell in the UK or to pass on as a present to a well deserving friend or relative back home!

Remember that this is the most basic model but the Maps and standard Navigation are the same as the most expensive models. If you were buying for yourself you might want a model with more bells and whistles.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent or buy sat nav

Van de caab

Thanks for the info,I left checking the rental costs till today & i fly out on saturday.

Quick google.co.za fetched up Tom Tom one for R1399 iwarehouse & Garmin nuvi 205 R1349 kalahari.net which are on line. so could do with a high street shop in one of the malls near sandton with a sale on!!........ Not asking much am i ;-)

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent or buy sat nav

Look at a more downmarket shopping mall than Sandton Square!

Look for chains such as Hi Fi Corporation, Game or Makro. Likely to have the best prices. Just looked and Makro have the TomTom Start ZA available on special at R999! This is a simplified SatNav but still has the same SA Maps.

http://tinyurl.com/yz88rxf

One more good point. If you export this back to the UK in it's box, you can claim back 14 percent VAT at the airport when leaving - you will actually get back about R100. So a bargain at R899!

Edited: 24 February 2010, 22:22
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,414 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent or buy sat nav

Hi,

I don't know where you are driving, but it's perfectly feasible to drive around the country without Satnav. Road signs are good, as are maps/atlases.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent or buy sat nav

Peterscot & van de caab

I think i will be going down the old fashioned route and buying a good local road atlas, fairly good with maps. sat nav just avoids arguing with the wife.

Thank you

UK
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent or buy sat nav

We have just got back from South Africa and rented a sat nav from www.zintech.co.uk here in the UK for just over £50. We travelled from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth and it was brilliant. We were quoted over £100 by our car rental company.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent or buy sat nav

"sat nav just avoids arguing with the wife"

To me that's worth an extra £50 for a whole two week holiday - anytime!

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
167 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent or buy sat nav

Hi.

Some good advice.

One other place to look to buy Sat-Nav's in SA would be at the Cape Union Mart in Rosebank (the nearest decent mall to your hotel and also a lot better value than Sandton City).

One other place to look to rent a Sat-Nav is Vodashop - via their website or have a big store at Joburg airport. I think they are marginally cheaper than Avis and Hertz.

I reckon Garmin maps are better than Tom Tom in SA - more up-to-date and more popular.

The final suggestion might be to see what your mobile phone can do in this space. HTC and Samsung phones can have the Garmin app put on them (just buy the SD Card in SA). Lots of other phones have their own Sat Nav applications as well, however some require the phone to 'go online' to find maps etc, which can be expensive. The ones using Garmin don't do this, so there's no extra cost - that's why we use them.

Best of luck!

Edited: 25 February 2010, 10:44
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,414 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent or buy sat nav

www.iwantoneofthose.com/sat-nag/index.html

The Satnag is one of the best car accessories I've ever used. (just don't tell my wife!)

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent or buy sat nav

Hello

My satnag`s broken when i use it in the UK & get lost it just keeps repeating " why dont you stop and ask somebody"

from husband with a death wish