We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sun city in june?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
sun city in june?

extended family 7, looking to get a small dose of S africa.. sun city looks like it fits the bill, any comments on crime, overpriced hotels June 16 for a week, weather, alternative ideas. shopping, pubs are our speciallty and i do love vegas.

sorry but one more, hows the game park next door?

ok lied... how about train service to S.C or van hire. I have 2 seniors 1 child.

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sun city in june?

I don't think it is too much like Vegas (that being a sprawling city), this is more like a large resort. Lots to do there for kids and adults, however it is winter so valley of the waves and swimming? not so much. Pilanesberg is a good reserve, although they did have a devastating fire a while back but I am sure that it has recovered. (there are others on this forum who know better than me.)

The resort will do a transfer or you can hire a vehicle and drive there, (fairly easy driving) Avis, Euro car, Budget , Hertz are some of the rental companies

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Edited: 19 April 2010, 05:56
Pretoria, SA
Level Contributor
389 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sun city in june?

Personally yes I think the hotels are overpriced. Valley of the waves will be too cold to enjoy properly but it will be quiet!! It is our winter so unlikely to be any rain whilst you are here.

Pilannesburg the game park next to it is excellent. I would rather spend my time in there instead.

Just noticed the date of your trip - you do know it is the World Cup??If you have not booked in Sun City already you are almost guaranteed not to get in

Edited: 19 April 2010, 06:19
Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sun city in june?

Sun City are just starting to release rooms now for the World Cup period so you might be lucky and get something ... but be warned, the rates are higher than normally you would expect to pay in June of any OTHER year purely because of the World Cup !

Pilanesberg is a good reserve for game viewing, the road network is easy to navigate and the roads are in good condition, but of course it is a National Park so you are NOT allowed to drive offroad. I have been on several trips there, and have seen a wide range of wildlife, including rhino, elephant, giraffe, zebra, antelope .. and even lion !

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sun city in june?

There are no trains from Jo-burg to Sun City. The Pilanesberg N.P. next door is a quiet a big park, with a scenic landscape and a good variety of wildlife species. You have a very good chance of seeing white rhinos.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sun city in june?

thanks all for the responses... I have just been lucky with some rooms that were released in JNB rosebank, ( thanks rob at satpack )for our world cup experience june 14th, and it seems the press is quoting a few hotels being released as ticket sales are underwhelming, is this happening at all venues and is there a better alternative then sun city,,, i'm feeling so ripped off, ( and maybe the rest of the world is pissed at the gouging going on ) im thinking of flying my group elsewhere in southern africa. But really want to do a safari. my time is tight with an extra 4 days after the match, so it may be more hastle then its worth to fly elsewhere.

thanks all again!!

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sun city in june?

'A better alternative than Sun City', I guess that depends on where your games are? www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sun city in june?

Thanks

We are in JNB for june 14th Nl vs Den and have a hotel until the 16th... I am leaning towards sun city as it seems easiest, but its a close your eyes affair due to hotel room prices... ouch!!

so i appreciate any ideas

8. Re: sun city in june?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 06:19