We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on the Garden Route

UK
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay on the Garden Route

Hi

My husband and I (in our early 60's) are planning our first trip to Cape Town. We have established that we would like 4 days in Cape Town and 3 days in Franschhoeke before driving the Garden Route to Knysna, however we are looking for some recommendations of place to stay for 1 night and/or visit on our route. I have been looking at Swellendam and was keen to know if it was a recommended place to stay. Thinking of the N1 route in and the N2 route out of vice a versa.

Any Suggestions would be greatly received

Many Thanks

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on the Garden Route

I personally think 3 days in Franschhoek is too long. Rather spend more time on the Garden Route.

I recommend the seaside town of Hermanus very strongly for an overnight stay. It is a bit out of your way, but well worth it - IF you go in summer. Not worth it in winter. I strongly recommend the following accomodation: Pacem holiday house, Hermanus.

Another place in the Garden route area I recommend strongly (after Knysna) is the Stormsriver camp in the Garden Route national park near the upmarket town of Plettenberg bay

Edited: 28 May 2010, 06:01
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on the Garden Route

I think 3 days in Franschhoek is about right, especially if you like wine. There is so much to do in the winelands and you can take day trips to other areas like Stellenbosch . Also some great restaurants, a different one for each night.

I would suggest you drive on the R62 and stay at Montagu or maybe even try and get to Oudtshorn

Lisa

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on the Garden Route

In answer to your question, Swellendam is a great place to stay and a nice convenient stopover between Franschhoek & Knysna. Anther option for a stopover, would be one of the towns on the scenic R62 such as Montagu or Calitzdorp areas. For a good selection of places to stay look at www.portfoliocollection.com who benchmark B&Bs & guesthouses - ask them for their free accommodation guides.

James - Africa Collection UK

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on the Garden Route

My favourite stay over in Montagu is Les Hauts de Montagu

http://www.leshautsdemontagu.co.za/

This is the place to stay if you want to treat yourself...

Worcester...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on the Garden Route

Hi there,

A friend recently forwarded me a list of special offers for places on teh Garden Route from Greenwood Guides. You can see them online too here: greenwoodguides.com/south-africa/accommodati…

Regards

6. Re: Where to stay on the Garden Route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 07:19