We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
San Francisco
1 post
Save Topic
I've Booked...Now What??

Hello All

I have booked myself on a month long trip with Intrepid Travel that will take me from South Africa to Zambia, Namibia, Botswana, and back to South Africa. (The bulk of the trip will be on their 22 day Vic Falls to Capetown Overland tour) While I've camped and even once backpacked for about a week I could really use some advice on how to pack for a trip like this.

My primary concern is what to bring all of my stuff in. Can anyone who has taken a trip like this tell me if a large regular suitcase will be ok or if I should look into getting some type of backpacking pack?

My trip is in August and I will be sure to post back here about my experiences and thoughts on Intrepid's overland tour.

Thanks in advance!!

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I've Booked...Now What??

It is probably best to ask the tour operator that question, although it seems like a backpacker style affair so a backpack, perhaps? www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

USA
Level Contributor
703 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I've Booked...Now What??

Softsided luggage such as a large duffle would be best. Intreped should provide you with specifics.

The most important thing to bring is a flexible attitude. Then binoculars. A 10x or better optical zoom point and shoot camera is something else you will want. Those 3-5x optical zooms will not do a magnificent trip like this justice.

If you pack layers of clothing and are prepared for some cold early morns and eves, you'll be fine. Unless your pre-departure literature states otherwise, no dressy clothes are needed. You are going at a great time of year and will have a fantastic trip.

3. Re: I've Booked...Now What??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2010, 05:17