We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

England
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

We recently visited Durban whilst on holiday in South Africa. We were robbed of our handbags at knife point by 2 young black men. Unfortunately like most women our lives were in our handbags. When you walk out please be aware of what's around you and only take necessities with you, if you have pockets ladies, don't take your handbag. These men came up behind us and cut the straps of our bags with very sharp knives then pulled the bags from our shoulders. We lost a lot of personal things but luckily not our passports, try not to carry them with you. There were lots of police attended to us but nothing came of it. This really spoilt our holiday. Please just take extra care, these kind of people are evil.

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,257 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

Katy

Sorry to hear it. As you say it is a big mess if you loose a lot of personal stuff.

I agree handbags are vunerable. same thing happened to my daughter in Barcelona recently. Snatched by a guy on a motor bike with a knife.

BTW I don't see what the colour of the thieves has to do with it. 80 percent of the people in South Africa are black so, it's obvious, that so are the majority of thieves. My daughters Spanish thief was white.

Edited: 30 May 2010, 10:54
Mentioned in this post
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
611 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Katy

Not a nice experience but as VDC handbag theft is prevalent in other parts of the world. I have definitely heard of more petty crime in Barcelona than in South Africa. The same thing happened to my mum there a few years ago.

When I travel to South Africa, I leave my expensive jewellery at home and I have the minimal amount of money - just enough for that day, only one credit card and usually my camera. I leave everything else locked in the safe at my accommodation.

I then frequently download my photos regularly onto my net book. I would be more upset to lose my pictures than anything else. You can't insure against these...

Saying that I have never had any problems while being on holiday in South Africa. Only once did I feel "uneasy" and that was at Jeffreys Bay, so we just left.

Thanks for the advise to other female travellers and hopefully it didn't spoil your holiday too much

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Jeffreys Bay
Jeffreys Bay
Eastern Cape, South Africa
3. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2010, 06:40