We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get the kids ready for our South African adventure!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
How to get the kids ready for our South African adventure!

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some media ideas to get the kids excited and ready for our upcoming trip to South Africa in July. We'll be visiting Cape Town, going on safari, and spending 22 days in a new and beautiful land and I want to heighten their anticipation (and mine) as much as possible.

I usually like to show movies or have them read books that in someway relate to upcoming trips, but I'm stumped with this one. My kids are ages 8, 10, and 12, having just completed 2nd, 5th, and 6th grades. The oldest can almost read adult novels, but the younger two need children's books still (albeit chapter books). Are there any children's TV shows based in South Africa we might be able to find? Or kids' movies?

Any ideas you might have are appreciated!

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get the kids ready for our South African adventure!

There is a tv programme currently being aired on our Dstv channels called Safari Sisters, a real story about two little girls who work with their dad on a game farm. I am not sure if you can get hold of it though. bounceuniversity.com/uncategorized/safari-si…

There are also lots of kids books on South Africa. If this link does not work then google kids books on South Africa and some names should come up.

www.amazon.com/s…

www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get the kids ready for our South African adventure!

Here is something you might want to look at if you are going on safari: Google: Battle of Kruger

It is the incredible amateur video of a baby buffalo caught by lions, then snatched from the lions by a crocodile, and thereafter saved by the buffalo herd. The baby Buffalo survived this incredible ordeal and limped away with the herd of buffalos

Edited: 01 June 2010, 19:27
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get the kids ready for our South African adventure!

We love that video!! One of the nature channels did a full 30-minute show on it even, and we all sat around and watched as a family. It really got us excited for our trip; that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for to prepare us for our adventure.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,929 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get the kids ready for our South African adventure!

"Madagascar"?

Sorry, I cannot understand how any kid would not be excited about such a trip. They must lead amazing lives!

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get the kids ready for our South African adventure!

Hsuthard, so did you know about the video? Quite amazing hey?

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get the kids ready for our South African adventure!

you can also give them an assignment. That does not only build excitement, also educates.

Give each child 2 or 3 (or any number you feel appropriate) animals to research on, e.g. habitat, how to differenciate male and female (sometimes not easy), preferred food, night or day active and so on....

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get the kids ready for our South African adventure!

You might like to ask your children to think of something to bring that they could give away to local children in SA, especially those that are in remote areas.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,929 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get the kids ready for our South African adventure!

Why not take some footballs - wildly popular, healthy, easy to distribute (non-divisive); and doesn't encourage begging or a dependency culture?

Give to teachers or civic leaders to pass on to children.

If you take 10, you'll wish you'd brought 20.

http://www.footballs4fun.co.uk/

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get the kids ready for our South African adventure!

Like the OP, I am American, so when I read peterscot's suggestion to bring "footballs" to South Africa, my first thought was "What would those kids know about football?" Then I remembered that he was actually referring to soccer balls, not American footballs!

As for movies to recommend: There seems to be a dearth of kids movies specifically about South Africa, but there are certainly plenty of animal programs they would enjoy. Your older child might enjoy watching some documentaries such as "21 Up South Africa: Mandela's Children" or some historically-based movies such as "Zulu". (My son absolutely LOVED "Zulu" when he was 12 years old.) Take a look at Netflix for ideas.

I like Klaus's idea about having your children research animals. Why not give them "The Big 5" and "The Little 5" and see what they learn? There are lots of good children's books about South Africa. Our public library system has at least 80 juvenile fiction and non-fiction books on South Africa. Your children's librarian should be happy to help you find some that will suit your children.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get the kids ready for our South African adventure!

I *love* this idea! My daughter is interested in the endangered Riverine Rabbit already, this is a great project for them. Thank you!