We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lets talk languages...

Chicago
13 posts
Save Topic
Lets talk languages...

Hello all,

I am flying into Johannesburg at the end of March and staying in South Africa for two months. I was wondering if most of South Africa speaks english? All of it? I read somewhere that it is the second or third most spoken language in the country and I am curious how easy it will be to find english speakers. Appreciate info you may have, looking forward to seeing this incredible country!

Cedric

London, United...
Level Contributor
981 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lets talk languages...

ALL of South Africa speaks English - although whether they speak American is another matter. You may find some people in some areas - like small villages and out in the wild places where some of the locals do not speak English - but even there the majority will.

The majority of signs are also in English - you will have no trouble at all finding friendly helpful people to speak to you in English - because their everywhere.

South Africa
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lets talk languages...

Hi Cedric,

We have 11 official languages and 1 of them is english. Most South Africans speak their mother language and at least English.

Goeie dag - good day

dankie - thank you

Chicago
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lets talk languages...

Greetings,

Thank you both for the info, its gotten me that much more excited for this trip! I'm in France right now and I hardly speak any of the language. I must say it is starting to get to me. I can usually have conversations with people I've never met before quite easily, but that becomes a lot harder when you can't speak the language! Thanks again

BLESSINGS

Cedric

switzerland
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lets talk languages...

hi cedric

i have spent a year in Soweto, Johannesburg as an exchange student. my school was a mixed public town school. and i have to say that i met alot of people who do not speak english at all. also they prefer speaking their own language to each other. i learned english, sotho and afrikaans. are you going for a holiday? or work?

are you interested in getting to know the locals? how old are you? where will you stay?

those are all questions that contribute to the experience you will have.

i have good connections and tipps if you are interested, drop me a line*

Chicago
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lets talk languages...

Tumi,

I am going to the country for both vacation and work. I am a member of WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms) and I figured I would get in contact with some farms while I am down there. I think it would be good to help out on a farm, plus I don't think my funds will allow me to have a full-on "vacation" for two months :) I talked briefly to a farm north of Johannesburg which I will probably go to after a while there, but we haven't worked out any details set in stone.

As for my time in Joburg, I arrive at 8:30 in the morning so I will probably spent that first day finding a cheap place to stay. Then see the sights for a few days and then head off to a farm. But fun and adventure is the name of the game so I will just take it as it comes.

I would love to get to know the locals! When I go traveling I try to make that top priority! I'm not one to eat at chain resturants and visit shopping malls in the states, so I wouldn't dream of doing it abroad!

I'm only 18 but my paper age does nothing to describe the way I am. I am comfortable around any ages of people.

I'd love to hear some of the tips and conections you might have to make life easier for me. My travels here in France are all with people through my parents connections so in their crowd I always hear things like "wow, you've grown up" and "how are your folks?" Which is fine for a while but I am interested in making my own connections and my own friends. Best way to do that is to get out and into it! If you wouldn't mind dropping an email to cthelionnow@snail-mail.net I can write back to you. That isn't my most recent email but I don't want to post it here for fear of getting endless amounts of spam.

Thanks for the interest in my travels

BLESSINGS

Cedric

switzerland
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lets talk languages...

hi cedric*

i tried this email of yours cthelionnow@snail-mail.net, did not work. drop me a line on tumi8@freesurf.ch (also not my daily used addy) and i ll see you "real" mail addy!

take care

ursi*

Townsville...
Level Contributor
564 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lets talk languages...

Cedric please just be careful about where you go and don't walk around on your own at night. ESpescially in jnb. South Africa is beautiful, but there are some people that are NOT NICE. Be wary.

Hope you have a fabulous trip.

Chicago
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lets talk languages...

Katsie,

Thanks for your kind words. I would expect there to be people who are not nice as those kind can be found many places around the world, especially in sh*tys. They seem to go hand in hand. I will be weary but adventure is what I am seeking and I walk with a heart filled with love any where I go. Anywhere I go I have the chance of harm being brought upon I; But to see a beautiful land and probably meet some beautiful people are things which will drive I to take that chance!

BLESSINGS

Cedric