We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The laundry question

Brussels
Level Contributor
40 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
The laundry question

Dear all,

We will soon (just after WC) start our one month trip to South-Africa. We travel with two young children.

As you can imagine, especially with the children, we will need to find a way to wash our clothes on the way. In most countries it is very expensive to get this organized via the hotel. Is this also true in SA? Alternatively, are there a lot of affordable laundry shops or coin laundries? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The laundry question

>In most countries it is very expensive to get this organized via the hotel. Is this also true in SA? Yes!

>Alternatively, are there a lot of affordable laundry shops or coin laundries? Yes!

> Any other suggestions?

1. B&Bs are usually much better when touring around South Africa anyway. These are normally family run and much nicer than in Europe. Much more freindly than hotels. Just ask the lady of your house and she will often let you do your washing for free or, more likely, get one of her staff to do it just for a small tip.

2. Travelling for one month with young children I would anyway stongly suggest that, at least some of the time, you stay in an appartment or cottage. Packing and unpacking every night would drive the childremn mad and would really not be fair on them. Having a cople of bases where you could make a home for a week would be much more relaxing. Check when you book but nearly all these places would have a wasing machine and other laundry facilities - or again you could probably arrange for the maid to do it for a tip.

Edited: 06 June 2010, 11:15
Brussels
Level Contributor
40 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The laundry question

Thanks for your quick reply.

We fully agree with your comment on lodging and have taken this into consideration.

Coming back to the laundry question, do you have any idea in what "range" a tip for one of the staff should be (sorry for my ignorance ...)?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
506 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The laundry question

Hi Brusselslady

I have found laundry prices in guest houses and b and b's to be very cheap, compared to prices paid in hotels in Europe.

Usually just a few rand each for t shirts, blouses, skirts, trousers etc.

I have also used service wash facilities in launderies. There are lots of these around. You just give them your bag of clothes, remembering to have separate bags for colours and whites, and you can usually pick it up a few hours later. This is usually very cheap (but it doesn't come back nicely ironed and hung in the wardrobe!)

I have never done what VDC suggested, but it is a good idea. As is self catering in a cottage with its own washing machine. On my last month long trip, this was invaluable and meant we could wash everything that was lingering in the bottom of the suitcase!

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The laundry question

we charge R20.00 per kg for washing and NICELY ironed.

Most owner run B&B/Guesthouses in our area are about that rate.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

5. Re: The laundry question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2010, 07:51